Compatible check

I'd also suggest an SSD, get a 120 GB + Samsung or Intel. Will knock a hole in your wallet but be well worth it. If you are not planning on overclocking you can put off buying a CPU cooler if money is an issue. SSD's are the best thing since dual core.

well I do plan on overcloacking the cpu up front when I get it....and get an SSD around april

also can i overclock to 3.9 with this mobo...

Last edited:
well I do plan on overcloacking the cpu up front when I get it....and get an SSD around april

If I were you I would get an SSD now and overclock later. On air the overclocking you will be able to do to a 3570k with that cooler won't make much of a difference. If your on a full water loop and plan to go 4.5 or higher etc that's a different story. An SSD will be noticeable in everything you do basically as a little overclock you will probably never realize you even did it.

Again, the 3570k turbos at 3.8GHz. Running it at 3.9 wont grant you any noticeable gains. In games, clocking my 3960X at 3.3 to 4.5 shows no difference besides 1-2 frames at best. A stock i5 750 is perfectly accaptable for games still which runs at 2.66GHz and is about 2x slower stock to stock than a 3570k.

As was said, an SSD will grant the most performance in noticeable gains in everything besides just gaming. Even though cutting out a 30 dollar cooler wont grant you the funds for an SSD.

if you think, its even a tiny possibility that you MAY want to run 2 cards down the line, go with Nvida from day one. instead of a 7950 get a 670.

i just sold both my 6970s that i was running in crossfire and i got a single 680. Ill never go back to Radeon. my 680 destroys my CF 6970s... drier support is so much better, the update their drivers a lot sooner when new games come out...

ive had 5 cards, this 680 is my first Nvidia card, before i would hear " oh nvida has better drivers, this and that herp derp " kinda dismissed it.... no man, they were so right! drivers make the world of difference!

go with a 670.

also, i wouldnt get a HDD at all if i were you. if i could do it over, especaiily with the way the pricing have come down on SSDs, id get a SSD only, and everything else you want to store, music, videos what ever, put on a external...

if you think, its even a tiny possibility that you MAY want to run 2 cards down the line, go with Nvida from day one. instead of a 7950 get a 670.

i just sold both my 6970s that i was running in crossfire and i got a single 680. Ill never go back to Radeon. my 680 destroys my CF 6970s... drier support is so much better, the update their drivers a lot sooner when new games come out...

ive had 5 cards, this 680 is my first Nvidia card, before i would hear " oh nvida has better drivers, this and that herp derp " kinda dismissed it.... no man, they were so right! drivers make the world of difference!

go with a 670.

also, i wouldnt get a HDD at all if i were you. if i could do it over, especaiily with the way the pricing have come down on SSDs, id get a SSD only, and everything else you want to store, music, videos what ever, put on a external...
I was never lieing about the drivers all these years. :angel:

He plans on getting an SSD later on down the road. Ditching a HDD for an external is kind of pointless because at least with a HDD when he gets an SSD he can go small (~120GB) and put larger programs on there. Not to mention, unless he gets USB3 which are pricey the HDD is going to be much quicker. More space and speed for literally about the same price or cheaper.

Never thought about ditching the HDD, if he ditched that and the aftermarket CPU cooler he could afford a good 128gig SSD which is plenty for me for space, not including media :p

Never thought about ditching the HDD, if he ditched that and the aftermarket CPU cooler he could afford a good 128gig SSD which is plenty for me for space, not including media :p

It's plenty for me too, but I have 8TB in my server for storage. :AwwwYea:

Thing is, the cheapest 670 is 50 bucks more so he probably wouldn't be able to get one of those and the SSD at the same time. Instead, ditching the cooler and 7950 and spending 20 bucks more makes a bit more sense while retaining the extra space. Or ****, even a cheap F4 320GB.

It's plenty for me too, but I have 8TB in my server for storage. :AwwwYea:

Thing is, the cheapest 670 is 50 bucks more so he probably wouldn't be able to get one of those and the SSD at the same time. Instead, ditching the cooler and 7950 and spending 20 bucks more makes a bit more sense while retaining the extra space. Or ****, even a cheap F4 320GB.

Or he could get a 660TI :) not like there is a big difference.

There is actually, considering we are trying to sway him to chose Nvidia. The 7950 is better than a 660ti for the same price. The 670 is ahead of both quite a bit depending on what game is being played.

There is actually, considering we are trying to sway him to chose Nvidia. The 7950 is better than a 660ti for the same price. The 670 is ahead of both quite a bit depending on what game is being played.

If not using multiple monitors I'd say the 7950 isn't much of an upgrade. The 670 yes. Like he said he wants to SLI and 660ti's will only get cheaper and are great oc cards.

Back
Top Bottom