Solid State Member
Hi. These are my current specs:

Model: HP p6-2375ea
Motherboard: MSI 2AE0
RAM: 8gb DDR3
APU: AMD A8-5500 with Radeon HD 7450
BIOS: AMI 8.08
PSU: Powercool Mod Extreme 650w

Basically, I want to know if I can use my Radeon HD 7850 graphics card. My mobo only has 1 PCIe x16 slot which currently has a card in it (the radeon HD 7450 I think?) which I've hooked up to my HDTV via HDMI and everything works fine. I've tried removing said 7450 and replacing it with the 7850, fits perfectly, and attaching the 6 pin PCIe cable from my PSU, but don't get any display whatsoever. The fan works and by the sounds of things it goes through POST ok. I made sure I removed the 7450 drivers, made sure my mobo, BIOS, and windows were up to date. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance :)

I'm sorry, are we talking about the HDMI cable here? The board doesn't have an HDMI port, it has VGA or DVI, but they both have caps on them with security screws and "do not remove" written on them. Currently my HDMI is plugged into the card that's in PCIe x16 slot which must be the HD7450? I swapped the HD7450 out for the HD7850 and hooked into the HDMI port but it didn't work?

Says don't remove simply because you had a card pre-installed with your system I'm guessing. It doesn't hurt to use one of those and your monitor should have come with at least a VGA cable to use. The reason I said all that is because sometimes when you switch cards the board can revert to onboard graphics by default and you have to use the port on the board to get video on your screen to tell the bios to boot to PEG (PCIE) by default. Or simply wait for Windows to load and install drivers in the background and hope that your screen comes up (this can happen as it has with me).

Ah I see! I'll give that a try although I've checked my BIOS for Display/graphics options and there's definitely no Display/Graphics hardware options. I'll try the onboard graphics and install the driver and get back to you

Ok so I got it working! But There's still a problem. I'll run through what I did first, then explain the problem:

I took the caps off the onboard ports and tried them with the HD 7450 card still in and only the HD 7450 card would work. Removed the HD 7450 card and tried the onboard graphics (which I found out are Radeon HD 7560) and they worked through VGA. Inserted the 7850 and powered up with my VGA in the onboards going to my old monitor, and my HDMI in my 7850 going to my TV and something happened which has never happened before when I've tried the 7850 on it's own - 4 beeps came from the 7850 (I think, could've been the motherboard) then it started up through the 7850 via HDMI! Removed the VGA lead and it was fine.

Problem: I inserted the disc that came with the 7850 graphics card which directed me to the AMD Catalyst site, Installed the software including Drivers, and just as it was finishing installing, the screen went black again. No Display! So I took the card back out, used the onboard graphics to uninstall all AMD drivers, then tried the 7850 again and it worked again. So I have a problem with installing the driver.

All of your cards are ATI. No need to uninstall anyways. Just download the latest from their site (I would use the 12.11 beta) and install it using a card that will work then remove it and put your 7850 back in. Let it do its thing and it should work. I'm thinking there might actually be a problem with the card.

Ok so I installed the Drivers through my old card, then tried the 7850 on it's own and it didn't work. I then tried it with the VGA AND the HDMI again and it worked again through the HDMI. Very strange. Also I'm still occasionally getting the 6 beeps on startup and if my mobo manufacturer's troubleshooting is correct it means there's an A20 gate failure? What does that mean?

You said before it was 4 beeps. Gate A20 wouldn't effect only one card, it would effect the whole system. It is usually associated with the keyboard controller.

Edit: If it is indeed 6 beeps try changing the keyboard.

Back
Top Bottom