how important is an anti-static wrist strap?

hamlet

Baseband Member
I keep seeing an anti-static wrist strap in all of the computer tool kits I look at. Is this a tool that is important. It seems like it would not be hard to make myself. Is it just a wire with a clamp at the end or is the strap itself made out of something particular? Thanks in advance for your input!

I'm an amateur builder, (I've built 5 computers) and have never used the strap. I've never had any problems with static damaging components, but then I'm very careful too.

Try to avoid static in the first place.
1) Don't work on a carpeted flooring.
2) Keep all components in anti-static bags until you're ready to install them.
3) Whenever you are working inside a case, unplug the power cord from the back of the computer first.
4) Keep yourself grounded to the metal case at all times. Discharge any static built up into the metal case before touching any components and keep one hand on the case while you use the other to install components. If you have to use both hands, keep your forearms resting against the case to keep yourself grounded.

These are a just a few tips I can think of off the top of my head. If anybody thinks of something I forgot, feel free to add your input.

Also just adding on:
do NOT put electronic devices on the outside of the antistatic bags. E.g. when you take out the motherboard from the bag, don't lay it on top of the bag. The inside of the bag is the part that is antistatic, the outside isn't always.

thank you for the advice. Unfortunately for me, I do have to work on them in a carpeted room. But I do not think it will be to hard to make one of these wrist straps.

Rule of thumb is don't wear shoes or anything that can generate static on the carpet. I pretty much do everything they say not to do. Use a wrist band, nope. Don't use a vac to clean dust off, I do this. Don't work on carpet, kinda have to. Touch your case, don't drag your feet, be barefoot, and you'll be ok.

thank you for the advice. Unfortunately for me, I do have to work on them in a carpeted room. But I do not think it will be to hard to make one of these wrist straps.

I've never had a problem with static, honestly. I've even built a system while wearing a fleece hoodie, working on carpet :lol:. Took it off in the middle of building a system and felt all the static from it on me, so I just grounded myself out and I was fine. Couldn't ground out on the case, so I touched a screw on the light-switch cover and was good to go.

Back
Top Bottom