Has anyone built a (rackmount) server. Thoughts?

Looks like a good case IMO.

One thing about RAM, if you want registered, it can highly narrow down what you can pick from for a motherboard

Registered Pros:
Error correction
Allows for very high amounts of RAM to be in the server
Good for anything where data integrity is of importance.

Registered Cons:
Expensive
Few mainstream consumer grade boards support it, tends to be server only equipment
EXPENSIVE

Standard Pros:
Cheap
Cheap...
Did I say cheap?
Oh, and plenty of choices for it!

Standard Cons:
No error correction
Limited in how much a system can use if server motherboard handles both registered/unbuffered - Typical boards support 512GB+ of registered, while unbuffered tends to peak at 32-64GB
Not ideal for anything where storage of data is important, especially when it comes time to write data due to potential for errors.

I think it would be worth going registered in the long run, just to help minimize potential issues with data use.

CPU/Mobo, just find something you really like and will work for you. Just keep in mind the software you may end up running on it, and what demands it could potentially have.

The other day I decided to watch some of my anime using my PS3 and PS3MS, about 5 seconds in, it skipped 3 or so minutes into the video, a minute later it jumped back. Still can't explain that one. PLEX seems ok with it via the PS3 though...

Have you tried out something like WinX DVD Ripper Platinum or DVDFAB Blu-Ray for your ripping needs? Or are you wanting to have the dvd menus and such come up like a normal DVD when you select a title?

I have been thinking about it, and I am leaning towards the Registered memory at this point. Did a little bit of reading on it today.

For the motherboards, I still have more reading up to do on performance, but at this time I am leaning towards socket 2011 with an Intel E5 processor. Something I have read is that previous socket types with multiple CPU's have allowed the user to run the board with only a single CPU on a dual or more CPU board, using a special blank plate on the unsed CPU sockets. I think there was even mention of another board (Tyan maybe) that didn't even need a special blank cover. Do you know if there is anything like that available for CURRENT generation CPU's? It would be nice to spend a little bit more on the bedrock of the server, and be able to add in more RAM or another physical CPU if needed, rather than having to tear out the motherboard and starting all over again.

As for the ripping, 'Clone DVD' or whatever it is called from Slysoft is the only ripper I have tried at this point. I am going to try out some different freeware options, and then settle down and buy the full version of whatever I enjoy the most. I HAVE the full version of Any DVD and Clone DVD from Slysoft, and it works great. It can rip to .ISO, the VIDEO_TS folder, or just copy the DVD to a blank for backup. At first I was THINKING I would like to keep the menu's intact, so that watching a movie on the network was like virtually popping in the DVD, and being able to choose a chapter, or listen to the commentary, or watch the special features, but this really is NOT necessary. In the long run, the movie being available is by far the most important thing for me.

The purchasing bug just bit me again... The sale of our house went through, so with some of the money, I went ahead and made some purchases, but sadly, nothing for the server yet...

http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/upgrading-antec-p280-261944/

http://www.techist.com/forums/f64/samsung-galaxy-note-10-1-a-261942/

Still WAY too early in this build to be purchasing equipment. I am in no rush, and want to do it right, so I might just sit on a wishlist until I get notifications that things are on sale.... We will see.....

Well, I haven't yet made any progress on the hardware side of the table, but I have adopted a new plan with the software side of things.

I was converting DVD's to .iso format, which WAS working great with the 30 trial disc's I ripped. I was able to watch them with Plex on the server machine, as well as wirelessly on my laptop. It was great because it was like having the DVD in the drive, with menu's and special features and all that jazz. The BIGGEST issue, is that I was NOT able to stream the .iso's to my Samsung Galaxy Note, or my wife's Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1. Also, we bought a Christmas present for ourselves, a Roku 2 XS, which ALSO wouldn't have worked. The Roku will be nice, because it will be a 1 stop shop for digital content for our TV.

I have decided to instead rip the movies in an MKV format, which doesn't lose any quality, and can be done for free with MakeMKV. I have the same 30 titles ripped to .MKV, and so far so good. The only issue I have encountered is that with streaming to my phone or the tablet, the Desktop machine running the server (listed as Gaming rig in my sig) will lock up after about a minute or so of playtime. It really isn't a HUGE issue, as we don't use the phone or tablet often for video, but I use my phone to stream music from the server a lot. I'm sure it's something I can get fixed, and PROBABLY has something to do with the video transcoding going on, but I'm not totally sure. Another bonus I noticed is that my PS3 is ALSO able to stream .MKV files, so that is an additional TV which can watch the video library.

I suggest looking at the PLEX forum for help about that, I have a few issues with my server locking up time to time when it comes to certain types of transcoding, very difficult on the poor thing, especially when it hits the memory leak bug.

Try craigslist, they sell servers for dirt cheap

While I do plan to watch Craigslist for parts once I get a build list together, it's still way too early to be watching for parts, as the funds won't be together for another 4 months or so. Also, something pre-built just won't cut it. If I put a Boeing 747 in my basement, it is quite possible that I might go to sleep one night, and not wake up, if my wife has anything to say about it... hahaha.

I suggest looking at the PLEX forum for help about that, I have a few issues with my server locking up time to time when it comes to certain types of transcoding, very difficult on the poor thing, especially when it hits the memory leak bug.

Yeah, I have been looking over the forums a bit, but I haven't had time to actually sit down and look up the lock-up issue, what with Christmas right around the corner and all. I think in the 15 days until Christmas, we have about 3 nights where we have NOTHING planned.... Life is exhausting.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom