What do I need to build a new pc from scratch?

YesImNew

Beta member
Alright guys, my name says it all. I read through most of the other threads and see the advice you guys have given. The only problem I;m running into is the price range. Basically I' looking to spend in total to build my new pc and get my wife a tablet for $1000. So any suggestions on a tablet would be great too. Mainly that would be used for going online and playing some games and reading books. Nothing fancy.

What I'm looking to do is build a desktop from the ground up. I have monitors and the other stuff, I just need some help on what else to get and where you suggest I get it. I looked at some barebone kits on Tigerdirect, but have not had good experience with them in the past.

As far as what I'll use it for, it's mainly going online, downloading movies music etc., Playing some games (nothing hardcore), occasional movie, office work and streaming into my xbox and playstation.

So my question in starting from the case and going from there what do I need? Do I go with intel? AMD? what type of motherboard? Graphics card? etc...

I'm not completely computer illiterate, but looking at all the choices that are out there today I'm clueless on what to get???

I know this is a lot to ask, but even a point in the right direction or some general advice would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply. What could I upgrade on if I take out Win7 $99.99 and the HDD $79.99. I just bought a new HDD (looks like the same one a month ago) and have a copy Win 7 Premium.

So basically an extra $180 to spend.

Thanks again

Do you think this is the way to go for a new pc or buy one pre-built?

if you have an extra $180, bump the processor up to a 3570K, get 8 gigs of ram instead of 4 and get a 650ti... also, id bump the case up to a corsair 200R.

building your own computer will ALWAYS.... like, seriously, EVERY TIME be better than buying a prebuilt computer... EVERY TIME.

Back
Top Bottom