Need suggestions on a 3570k cooler

Roark

Lord of Bacon
So I planned on getting a Xigmatek Aegir for my build, but apparently it has hit end of life status.
I need suggestions for a cooler that will let me push a 3570k over the 4.5 mark that is ~$60.

Currentl ooking at:
CM V6 GT
Xigmatek dark Knight
Corsair H50/55/60

Fans will likely be replaced with GT AP-15s, so that isn't an issue.

I'm trying to accomplish the highest OC I can while still being somewhat frugal with the cooler.

It seems like most of the posts I read specifically for 3570k are either high or low end coolers (CM hyper 212+ vs H100), and any cooler reviews I read are tested on older gen CPUs (which don't have the same thermal characteristics as IB), noticed this?

That's because the days of the big coolers are coming to an end. People either want to buy the cheapest **** they can get away with or buy an overly expensive cooler to do a 200MHz overclock (joking). The Mega was a great cooler and comparable to the D14 from Noctua. I posted that since you already had fans.

I was asking why you wanted to OC simply because at stock the CPU has a turbo of 3.8. With my turbo and HT off at stock clocks there is nothing my machine can't do. Besides a certain few special tasks your CPU should be able to out pace mine warranting no need to really OC at all.

I was asking why you wanted to OC simply because at stock the CPU has a turbo of 3.8. With my turbo and HT off at stock clocks there is nothing my machine can't do. Besides a certain few special tasks your CPU should be able to out pace mine warranting no need to really OC at all.
The performance boost is a plus, but honestly I like OCing simply for the sake of OCing.
I bet my current rig would work fine at stock clocks for what I use it for now (except maybe Skyrim), but there is just something about squeezing its full potential out (limited by other hardware) that is exciting/satisfying/entertaining.

Honestly you would get more performance to heat gains overclocking your GPU rather than your CPU. My copy of Skryim or Farcry 3 doesn't even get a boost from overclocking to 4.5 from 3.3. RAM from 1600 to 2133 also makes no difference. No sense to generate more heat unless you are benchmarking. If you are serious about 24/7 OC I would put a bit more cash into getting something useful like an H80.

Honestly you would get more performance to heat gains overclocking your GPU rather than your CPU.
I'm aware, that is why I find my stable GPU OC first, then do the CPU w/o pushing the GPU over any thresholds.

My copy of Skryim or Farcry 3 doesn't even get a boost from overclocking to 4.5 from 3.3. RAM from 1600 to 2133 also makes no difference.
I'd assume there is a difference between our CPUs since yours is 5yrs younger than mine.

No sense to generate more heat unless you are benchmarking.
Roark said:
I like OCing simply for the sake of OCing ... there is just something about squeezing its full potential out (limited by other hardware) that is exciting/satisfying/entertaining.
We don't always do the things we enjoy because they make sense, like the fact that I still smoke cigarettes and drink to excess regularly even though I know one of them is likely to be the death of me.

My CPU is only a year old and still the fastest desktop/consumer processor in the world ;)

In terms of real world gaming performance there isn't much of a difference between SB-E and IB besides higher stock/turbo speed. The speed increase is great for SLI/Crossfire setups but on single GPU and gaming you wont see any difference except maybe 1-2FPS. Considering there isn't a noticeable difference between 3.3 and 4.5 on my CPU 3.8 to 4.5 wont grant much of a difference on a 3570k either.

In terms of real world gaming performance there isn't much of a difference between SB-E and IB besides higher stock/turbo speed.
You misread what I wrote.
Roark said:
I bet my current rig would work fine at stock clocks for what I use it for now (except maybe Skyrim) ...
I'd assume there is a difference between our CPUs since yours is 5yrs younger than mine.
I see what you're saying though, most CPUs don't need to be overclocked.
I'm saying it doesn't matter, if you enjoy doing it and keep it within it's safety parameters for 24/7 use then why not have some fun with it.

Derp I thought you put 5 years older. Since we were talking 3570k....yea. If you are OCing Q6600 then yea it's needed.
I'm not arguing don't do it for the **** of it, just it isn't needed. Other people read these threads too and I don't want anyone to assume ya know.

I mean, I just got done putting a Zalman 9700 on a S754 Sempy 2800+ to overclock for my 98 box. Completely unnecessary but I want to. I get ya.

Back
Top Bottom