Upgrading Video Card Help

So I made the purchase! $143.99 was my final purchase + I got a copy of assassins creed 3 + I have 20 dollars mail in rebate card so the actual cost ends up being...
123.99 with a free copy of assasins creed 3
Now, I have some question in regards to installing a new video card to a system. Now my computer is still running smoothly, and I would like to avoid having to reinstalling the operating system.
So, is replacing the video card as simple as unplugging my computer, taking out the video card, putting in the new one, starting the computer, installing the video card drivers? OR do I have to uninstall previous video card drivers, then remove the video card, and continue with the rest of the process?
i would download the latest drivers for your new card and leave it on the desktop or somewhere you can find easily. uninstall the old drivers. shutdown. replace video card. start up computer and install new drivers. restart.

there will be absolutely no need to reinstall the os.
Something else I am finding out with your recommendations in regards to computer monitors are that those brands are much more expensive. Like, I look at a acer monitor with 23 " and under 5ms and good contrast ratio on special right now, and compare is to an asus, dell, or samsung and the price is almost double for the other ones. Do these brands offer much better warranties or what sets these brands apart from the rest?
samsung makes great monitors. typically, samsung makes dell monitors.
I know with a previous monitor with acer they had a policy where if you had only a single partially dead pixel on your monitor that you could not replace/return your monitor or something. Rules like this are also things I think separate better companies from the worse. But are there more policies like this that apply with your recommendations as well or?
the policy for replacing monitors from bad pixels will probably be laid out on the website that you are buying from and the policies vary a lot from company to company. its something to take into consideration, but generally better companies have policies that are more in your favor to start with.

So I made the purchase! $143.99 was my final purchase + I got a copy of assassins creed 3 + I have 20 dollars mail in rebate card so the actual cost ends up being...
123.99 with a free copy of assasins creed 3
Now, I have some question in regards to installing a new video card to a system. Now my computer is still running smoothly, and I would like to avoid having to reinstalling the operating system.
So, is replacing the video card as simple as unplugging my computer, taking out the video card, putting in the new one, starting the computer, installing the video card drivers? OR do I have to uninstall previous video card drivers, then remove the video card, and continue with the rest of the process?

Something else I am finding out with your recommendations in regards to computer monitors are that those brands are much more expensive. Like, I look at a acer monitor with 23 " and under 5ms and good contrast ratio on special right now, and compare is to an asus, dell, or samsung and the price is almost double for the other ones. Do these brands offer much better warranties or what sets these brands apart from the rest? I know with a previous monitor with acer they had a policy where if you had only a single partially dead pixel on your monitor that you could not replace/return your monitor or something. Rules like this are also things I think separate better companies from the worse. But are there more policies like this that apply with your recommendations as well or?
Download the Nvidia drivers and have them ready, download a driver cleaner (sweeper) program and keep that ready. Now uninstall ALL ATI/AMD based software and reboot your PC. Run the driver cleaner program and have it erase all the ATI/AMD software and shut down. Now install your new 650ti and start your machine. Now install your new Nvidia drivers and reboot. Should be all set.

The LCDs we recommended are more expensive due to quality, sort of how I recommend Seasonic and Corsair PSUs. Acer LCDs have a bad habit of dieing right outside of warranty or within a year. AOC/HannsG LCDs have a tendency to have wavy grays even brand new. You get the picture. Another brand you can look for is NEC, but they are pricey too.

Alright so I think I decided on the monitor that I am going to buy. While I could not find an amazing deal, I still found something with a little bit of a discount, quality brand, 2 ms response time, and 1920x1080 display.
CompUSA.com | VS238H-P | ASUS VS238H-P 23 Class Widescreen LED Monitor

This one look pretty legit to you guys?
Also, you mentioned to use a driver cleaner when I uninstall my old video card drivers. Do you have any recommendations?
Now I have a completed unrelated question. I am curious on the correct way on how to remove malware from a computer. Now, my computer is still running fine. But, over the summer I got a trojan/virus/malware (dont know specifically what it was) to the point of where my computer was barely functional. I used the internet to find a way to remove, and everything has been perfect with my computer ever since. But.. I am still a little worried that there are still some files on there that I do not want. Now, I have been reading on the internet various ways on going about this, and I kind of wanted to get your guys input on what would be best.
As of right now, what seems to be the best way to go about it is
1. Boot in safe mode
2. Run rKill scan
3. Run CCleaner scan (no need to use the registry cleaner part of this program, just the first and main option)
4. Restart computer normally, run malware bites scan
5. Run scan on computer using an anti virus (I use MSE)

Does this seem like a pretty good way to go about doing things, or are there other methods/programs that would be good for this sort of thing?

Last edited:
Good monitor.
I use Driver Clearner 2.1.

As for the rest, I would use Avast and do a boot scan then run hijackthis.de and post your results over in the proper sub-forum.

So I installed the video card, and it all went fairly smoothly (the uninstalling old video card + drivers, installing new video card + drivers).
So... The video card came with a CD on it for display drivers, but right when I started my computer windows ended up installing the graphic card drivers (from the internet I assume), and then required me to restart my computer. After, it looked like the drivers were on there, and the screen resolution adjusted. But, I still ended up installing the display drivers that I downloaded from their website.
My question is, is this the legit way or doing it? Or should I also install the what came in on the CD that they gave me?

I gotta say to... so far I have tested this card out on ultra settings on starcraft 2.
This card was EXACTLY what I was looking for, and I cant thank you guys enough for your help. This card is giving me the fps I want, it was a nice price, quality brand, AND ITS QUIET. Holy crap, my old card was soooo sooooo loud. And hearing my computer run this quiet while I am playing a game on ultra settings it sounds sooooo nice to my ears. Its worth noting too, that this card runs alot cooler than my old car. It hovers around 28 degrees C when the computer is idling and the highest temperature I have seen so far is 43 degrees C while playing a game with good graphics.

Once again. Thank you guys for your help, I really do appreciate the help/advice that you gave me.

Back
Top Bottom