External HDD issues

GLaDOS

In Runtime
Good day everyone,

I ran into this problem last night and just wanted to see what everyone thought. I went to boot up my Lenovo ThinkPad laptop last night and it froze on the Lenovo splash screen you get when you first turn the machine on. The computer was not frozen though, it just did not boot up. When I hit the Esc key, I was able to get some type of system information I've never seen before.

I currently have a small USB hub hooked up to my laptop. Connected to the hub are 2 external HDDs, a joystick, and my ipod cable. It seemed like the laptop was trying to search the HDDs for the Windows 8 OS - and when I unplugged the hub, the computer booted up fine. So I restarted and went into the BIOS settings and moved my internal HDD from the last slot up to the first slot in the boot order (I still have NO idea how it even got moved).

However, now when I boot up my computer my computer takes nearly 10-15 mins to recognize both HDDs and then when I try to access one of them it will be a very slow connection and then both HDDs will be lost in Windows Explorer or it won't connect at all and my computer will say it can't find the HDD.

My gut feeling is that it's a failing USB hub, b/c I plugged one of my HDDs directly into my computer and it worked fine. I just wanted everyone's opinion before I went out and bought another. Also, does anyone have any guess as to why my internal HDD would be set to the last slot in the boot order?

If it makes any difference, I generally leave all my peripherals plugged into my computer and just put it to sleep every night. And when I finally did get my computer started (after pulling out my battery) all of my webpages were still there w/o having to be restored. I thought that was weird too.

Hmm so I came back from work and my computer mysteriously works again. It boots up correctly and my computer recognizes my HDDs quickly.

Does anyone have any ideas how the boot order changed itself? I'm just curious and would like anyone's insights for my own personal knowledge. Thanks!

All I can think may have happened is that it failed to read the main drive for whatever reason and looked at one of the other drives. Just a guess of course but not so long ago when I was having a hard time getting my raid setup working my adios kept moving my main drive toward the end of list and then it wouldn't coot till I changer it back IP it did this to me two or three times but its been fine for a month now. So who Knows. Computers can be finicky for sure.

Back
Top Bottom