Processor Compatibility?

Thorax_the_Impaler

Minecraft Veteran
Hello everybody I have a HP Media Center PC model a1357c. I researched and found a compatible processor upgrade for an insane amount of money. 200MHz more speed for $112 isn't going to happen. The upgraded processor is AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ (clocked to 2.4GHz per core). However, I found another processor, AMD Opteron 180 which is the same socket (939), and is clocked at the same speed per core and is about $90 less. After a little research I learned there are some differences between the Opteron and the Athlon, primarily that the Opteron is the "server" version of the Athlon (it of course being the "Desktop" version). My question is if I were to buy the $20 Opteron processor; would it work with the machine I've described above? I honestly do not think it would (based on my sources reading that the Opteron 180 does not have support for Un-Buffered RAM; which the board takes), but I figured I'd ask to make sure. And just to expand my knowledge on the subject, why or why wouldn't it be compatible?

Most enthusiast 939 boards actually had a bios update to support the Opteron CPUs as they would support non-ECC RAM. Being a pre-built I doubt it supports anything other than Athlon-X2 and Athlon 64. For 20 dollars though, it really wouldn't hurt to try as those still go for a ton of money like the 4800+ brother.

Well the RAM I have installed is non-EEC. And I have found RAM that is compatible with this board that is ECC and Buffered. Should the CPU not work with my current RAM, would it work if I were to install the EEC RAM?

The problem lies in the support of the processor itself on the board. The CPU should run with either kind of RAM, but I don't think your board will support the CPU without a proper bios update of which I doubt the OEM supplies.

Back
Top Bottom