Can you wipe a hard drive without needing removing the OS?

hamlet

Baseband Member
If I want to wipe the hard drive on a computer is there a way to do it so that i dont have to have the OS on a disk to complete the process?

If you are talking about the drive you are currently using to get into the OS, then no.

If you are talking about a second HDD that doesn't hold your OS then yes you can format from within Windows.

If I use the same disc that came with my new computer for multiple computers? is it legal? or do i need to buy a new disc for every computer?

According to Microsoft's EULA you can only use the windows key once, so for each computer you install windows on you'll have to buy a new key.

That depends entirely on what copy he bought though.

Formatting a HDD with an OS on it requires re-installation of that OS. Really no way around it.

me and a buddy have a hobby of working on old pcs. occasionally people will just give us one if they dont want it anymore. So we will just sell it after we upgrade it. But I dont want to sell a computer or give one away when I dont know where it has been. I dont know if the person who owned it first did illegal activity on it and if they have, i do not want my friends to be in trouble if something is traced back to that pc.

Then you need to format the whole drive and reinstall a new fresh OS if you are trying to sell the PC back to the public. This is done using an unused key of Windows. You don't want to sell a customer a PC with a previously used OS. That's like using a condom then selling it to the next person to use.

Then you need to format the whole drive and reinstall a new fresh OS if you are trying to sell the PC back to the public. This is done using an unused key of Windows. You don't want to sell a customer a PC with a previously used OS. That's like using a condom then selling it to the next person to use.

is there a forum or a site that further explains this process?

i think that all computers are required to have the windows activation code on a sticker somewhere on the computer. even custom oem ones are supposed to.

if you have a windows xp/vista/7 disk of the same edition 32/64 bit home/professional edition you can just use the same number after formatting the drive with a fresh version of windows.

you could also acquire a .iso of the edition found on the sticker on the internet and use your legally acquired sticker code to activate it.

Back
Top Bottom