Graphics or power supply issue?

Zentaa

Beta member
I bought a graphics card 3 or 4 months back because the card that came with my Gateway stopped working. After putting it in I could tell my computer was running much slower than before. Eventually it started to shut itself down and restart sometimes. Recently it would turn on for 2 or 3 minutes and now it wont start with the card in it. I thought it was the power supply because it said it required a 400watt power supply, but then i looked at the old card that i started with and it also required 400 watts. I am new to all of this and i would love to learn how it works. If any of you guys know how the power supply distributes the power to all of the cards and ports i'd be happy to know.

The computer i use is a Gateway FX7026
The new graphics card i tried to put in was an EVGA GTX 550Ti 2gb GDDR5
The old one is what came with the computer, an EVGA e-GeForce 8800GT 512mb DDR3
My power supply is Delta Electronics DPS- 400RB A Power supply, also original to the PC

I bought a graphics card 3 or 4 months back because the card that came with my Gateway stopped working. After putting it in I could tell my computer was running much slower than before. Eventually it started to shut itself down and restart sometimes. Recently it would turn on for 2 or 3 minutes and now it wont start with the card in it. I thought it was the power supply because it said it required a 400watt power supply, but then i looked at the old card that i started with and it also required 400 watts. I am new to all of this and i would love to learn how it works. If any of you guys know how the power supply distributes the power to all of the cards and ports i'd be happy to know.

The computer i use is a Gateway FX7026
The new graphics card i tried to put in was an EVGA GTX 550Ti 2gb GDDR5
The old one is what came with the computer, an EVGA e-GeForce 8800GT 512mb DDR3
My power supply is Delta Electronics DPS- 400RB A Power supply, also original to the PC

PSU that comes in pre-built computers usually are crap, so I would get a new PSU, antec, consair or seasonic around 550 to 600 watts.

I looked up some at Fry's and Radioshack and i saw some Antecs at 650 because i thought i might need a lot more than i have. Will having just a hundred more be efficient enough? I don't understand why this card requires more than the other but they both say 400w... Could you help me out with that or..?

you want to go for ~500-600, as a rule of thumb. Of course 100w would help, but doesn't give you that much room for future additions. I have a 750w PSU, fyi.

you want to go for ~500-600, as a rule of thumb. Of course 100w would help, but doesn't give you that much room for future additions. I have a 750w PSU, fyi.

I am trying to determine if i should go for a nice power supply or a new XBox 360. I like to game and i like the pc for the freedom, but lately i have been having crap luck with using a computer. Do you think my PC is worth putting in the new power supply with graphics card? In order to game i mean. Id like to be able to run Battlefield 3 and maybe GTA 5, but im unsure i have a good enough processor to do so.

I am trying to determine if i should go for a nice power supply or a new XBox 360. I like to game and i like the pc for the freedom, but lately i have been having crap luck with using a computer. Do you think my PC is worth putting in the new power supply with graphics card? In order to game i mean. Id like to be able to run Battlefield 3 and maybe GTA 5, but im unsure i have a good enough processor to do so.

Well your computer looks to have a quad core CPU four Gigs of Ram and your getting the 2Gig Video card you should be able to play anything out there new. The power supply definitely needs to be replaced and that computer would be worth it if nothing else for resale value.

Well your computer looks to have a quad core CPU four Gigs of Ram and your getting the 2Gig Video card you should be able to play anything out there new. The power supply definitely needs to be replaced and that computer would be worth it if nothing else for resale value.

So all of you agree my power supply is the issue? And thanks!

Dude, that pc could blow a lot out of the water. Remember, you don't have to pay $50 for live a year if you have a PC :)

I'm an addict so I have an XBOX, but PC gaming is definitely better graphics and expansion wise

Dude, that pc could blow a lot out of the water. Remember, you don't have to pay $50 for live a year if you have a PC :)

I'm an addict so I have an XBOX, but PC gaming is definitely better graphics and expansion wise

Thanks guys! I'm gonna get a 650 or higher i think. I want to upgrade in the future too so that should work :D Thanks to all! :D

Back
Top Bottom