TV or Monitor?? Hard buying decision!

i sit about 5 feet away from my 32 inch tv which i use my pc on. it works great, and its only 720p and yours is 1080p! i would get the monitor if you sat a little far away

Yeah TV as a monitor is a bad idea as the resolution just sucks, and perhaps more importantly the dot pitch is horrible. Unless you will only use the computer as a games (with controller) and media machine, otherwise monitor is the only sensible choice - also would be a bit of a waste of any half decent graphics card.

I wouldn't say the resolution of a TV as a monitor "sucks".

While I'm no expert in the matter, and have not compared a TV and a monitor side-by-side, I could give my own experience; I've been using a 720p 32" Samsung LCD with my desktop. I got it several years ago, when LCDs were just coming out (and were quite expensive; I paid for that more than what a much larger 1080p LED costs today). So I can only imagine how much better a much newer 1080p LED would be.

Maybe if put side-by-side next to a monitor, the resolution on the monitor might be better. Maybe. Maybe not. I cannot argue with that. But what I can say is I find nothing wrong with the resolution, and it certainly doesn't suck (at least by my standards). When I use computers with monitors, I notice no difference in resolution (again, out of memory, not side-by-side. But then again, if my LCD TV "sucked", I should be able to notice how significantly better a monitor is, even out of memory).

While some might argue that 32" for a computer monitor is "too big", I have gotten used to it. I find it weird when I work on smaller monitors. And it doubles as a TV, which is a plus for me. I'm sometimes working on my PC and watching a movie/a football game in a PIP window in the corner of the screen.

Again, not an expert opinion. Just an opinion. Hope it helps.

It's not resolution of modern TVs, it's pixel pitch and sharpness. In most cases, it's a 1080p picture on 32+ for a TV or 21+ for a PC LCD. People don't realize that a 1920x1080 picture is the same on a 21" as it is on a 40". When you stretch the picture out the sharpness goes down due to the pixel pitch being lower because you are stretching the pixels further out. A TV is meant to be placed further back for comfortable viewing and companies expect this to be able to make their panel a lower quality and you wont notice it. Most people can get by and not even notice, but for people like me it is very noticeable and I feel like I need glasses looking at a TV that is 2ft in front of me.

As for resolution, anything not 1080p on a TV is going to look worse due to stretching an even smaller picture to a bigger screen. 1280x720 vs 1920x1080 is a huge difference.

Back
Top Bottom