Solid State- Is it really worth it?

TPFMedia

Beta member
Hey Guys, new here to the forum, and will be getting a gaming laptop pretty soon... I was wondering what you guys thought of Solid State Drives as opposed to regular Hard Drives, how much faster do they make the computer go, and, are they worth sacrificing some Hard Disc Space for? Let me know.

Way faster. SSD's are flash-storage based whereas standard HDD's are platter-based.

I'd try and get a laptop with 2 laptop bays if possible, so that you can put both an SSD and HDD in it. This way you can install an SSD and install applications you want sped up on there, and can store normal data / miscellaneous programs on the normal HDD.

In terms of raw read/write speed an SSD can be anywhere between 2-10x faster (literally). As far as latency it's even faster than that as there is no delay. I don't recommend any new build without an SSD because the HDD is the slowest piece in a computer. It simply makes the overall feel of your computer way quicker.

I never thought they were until I got my first SSD... Now I can't go back.

I never thought they were until I got my first SSD... Now I can't go back.

I'd have to agree with that. I couldn't really judge with my MacBook as I had no reference to compare to. Besides, it's a top-of-the-line MBA, so I couldn't really tell the added benefit from the SSD.

Then I got an SSD for an old quad core. Difference was night and day. Boot up/shut down times were significantly less. Launching heavy-ish programs (Photoshop CS6 and the likes) took only a few seconds. It was like a new a upgraded computer.

SSDs have gotten pretty cheap compared to a year or so ago. If your budget allows, definitely go SSD.

The easiest way to tell is use an SSD for a month, then switch to a regular HDD on the same machine. That usually wakes people up to notice how quick an SSD is.

Back
Top Bottom