Somewhat new, building a new computer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plenty

Solid State Member
Well, my Pentium 3 has served me well throughout the years, but I figure it is time for an upgrade. I'm on somewhat of a budget, but I manged to put together some parts on www.newegg.com. I was wondering what you all thought of them, or if there are any glaring compatibility issues.

1) Case: Raidmax "Scorpio 868"
2) CD Drive: Rosewill C523216 CD-RW/DVD-R Combo Drive
3) HD: Maxtor 6E04OLO IDE (40GB)...I also have another 80GB HD which I will be transferring from this computer.
4) RAM: Kingmax 184 PIN 512 DDR PC-3200
5) MB: MSI "K8T NEO2-F" VIA K8T800 Pro Socket 939 for AMD
6) CPU: AMD Athlon 64 2800+
7) Video Card: Rosewill Radeon 9600

So, any tips would be well received. I'll probably end up adding some more RAM in there too.

That CPU you got is Socket 754 and the Motherboard you have is socket 939 I believe they have a socket 939 3000+ if not, then the minimum socket 939 CPU is the 64 3200+

Alright, after some modifications, I've got it down to this:

Parts I don't have to buy:
1) IDE 80GB HD
2) Windows XP

The things that need purchasing:
1) Video: Rosewill Radeon 9600, 256MB DDR
2) CPU: AMD Athlon 64 2800+
3) MOBO: Chaintech Nforce3 250, Socket 754
4) RAM: Corsair Value Dual Channel DDR - 512x2MB
5) Floppy: Sony Beige Floppy
6) CD: 52x32x52 RW
7) Case: My lovable Raidmax Scorpio 868

Anyway, it all comes down to about 512$ which is doable. Does it work?

Keep the original mobo and swap in the proc for a S939 3000+ .90nm. If you are interested, it will overclock like a biatch (up to 2.8 Ghz and higher), and wont cost you much more. Also, s939 supports dual channel memory, and you will be OK in the future when the dual core CPUs come out

So you suggest I sacrifice my ram now, buy some when I can, and go with the 3000+ and mobo? Hrm...I'll see how it works out, price wise. I will miss my ram :(

You can still use your ram. if you can find another stick exactly the same, you can put than one in too and run them in dual channel. With dual channel motherboards, you can still run memory in single channel. Actually I am doing that right now, but plan on changing that real soon

Nah, it was more of a price issue...But I've decided to get a 3200+ with the original Mobo, and ask my grandma for a gig of dual channel RAM. ;) I'm good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom