Upgrading Video Card Help

NujabesGoodTunes

Solid State Member
So, roughly two years ago I decided to learn how to buy some computer parts and put a computer together myself with the help of some people on some forums. The experience went very smoothly and my computer is still running fairly great to this day, however I also want to make it a little bit better. And, I think the video card is the part that I am looking at specifically.

-Coolermaster HAF 922
-Western Digital Caviar Black 500g
-GIGABYTE GA-770T-USB3, XFX 5770
-4g G.Skill Ripjaw 1600
-Corsair 650W, 955
-Phenom II X4 3.2 GHz
-Windows 7

As of right now I am not quite getting the fps I want even though I am only using a 1600x900 monitor. Games like Witcher 2, Starcraft 2, and Skyrim are the type of games that I would like to play on max settings. As of right now however, I feel gimped on Witcher 2. On Starcraft 2, I can run at max settings however when a huge battle happens 200/200 food the fps isnt what I would need. Therefore, I decide to play on medium settings when I play that game. And Skyrim I can play on max graphics, but I dont feel its quite as optimal as it could be.

So I ask you guys for some help, do you think that the graphics card is what I should replace in order to replace the problem I am talking about? And, if so do you have any recommendations on what sort of card would be good enough for my needs?
I have sort of been looking at the saphire vapor x 7770, for $130, because I think this would probably be the bump I need to get what I want out of a graphics card. But do you think its worth it to spend more/less on something else? Also, the video card I have currently I find to be very very loud when I am playing a game that is graphically demanding. I find this to be pretty annoying, I would much rather find a much quieter sounding graphics cards, despite me playing a graphically demanding game.

Thank you two for the quick replies. I am defiantly willing to spend more if need be, and sounds of things it seems like that will be a good idea. Would it be worth even spending even more than your two suggestions? I really just want a game that game show 200 zerglings on the map on starcraft 2 on ultra settings, max graphics on skyrim and witcher 2, and to play up to date games to come for a while.

Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition I know kills my machine, so you would need a 670 or 680 to handle that. A 650ti is comparable to a GTX570 in performance which would greatly increase your performance over the current 5770. IF you want to increase your budget more, the next best option would be GTX660 or 7870.

I think that I am going to end up going with the 650ti. It seems based on what you guys have said, and from other sources ive read on the internet that people seem pretty happy with that card. It seems to be what I am looking for. What exactly is the difference between 1gb, and 2gb video card. It seems like the 1gb by different companies are about 150 dollars, whereas the 2gb are closer to 170 dollars. Also, what company/brand would you recommend for this sort of card?
Much thank for you help so far.

Just upped VRAM. DX11 games are increasingly using more VRAM and when you cap that you can start to lag. It's the reason why I want more VRAM than 1.5GB for my copy of Skyrim.

eVGA.

I have a Palit GTX 650 Ti, it a very good card, but I've been researching problems and issues with GTX 650 Ti ever since my computer crashed, froze and displayed only a green screen. Been happening while playing Heroes of Newerth, Dota 2, and once while playing Assassin's Creed 3.. I'm not discrediting the card but I think some bad batch of cards are on the market, very unfortunate for me.. :( Just want to let everyone know about this, to save you the time..
If anyone has any fix for this, I'll gladly accept help.
Also, since we are talking about gpu upgrades, any thoughts with this card with regards to price and all, it's from a local internet store where my Auntie can buy it for me, Gigabyte Radeon HD7850 2Gb Edition
This card caught my eye ever since the nasty bugs from my 650 Ti became more annoying than usual and my Auntie offered me a Christmas Present! :D The fans look great and forum benchmarks and youtube benchmarks of this card is great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom