CPU: Intel 15-2500 3.3 GHz
Operation System: Win 7 64-bit SP : 1
RAM: Kingston DDR3 16G 1600 mhz (4 x 4GB) KHX1600C9D3/4G 1.65v
Power Supply : 800 W
MOBO: GA-Z68AP-D3(rev. 1.0)

I would like to upgrade the RAM to:
Kingston HyperX 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
KHX16C9P1K2/16 1.5V.

I am simply wondering, will this be a compatible upgrade? I did research to ensure it will be but I would like a few other's perspectives on this.

Also, I'd like to use the original RAM I am taking out of this system in another computer with these specs:
MOBO: Gigabyte EX58-UD4P Intel X58.
RAM: 6Gb of Kingston HyperX DDR3/1600 Mhz Triple Ch. RAM.
CPU: Intel i7 920 2.66GHz LGA1366

Any objectionable moves here?

Thanks a lot

Objectionable? Sure. Why do you need so much RAM?

You wont be able to utilize all 16GB in the other setup unless you take out 1 of the current sticks. If you do this it'll work.

Objectionable? Sure. Why do you need so much RAM?

You wont be able to utilize all 16GB in the other setup unless you take out 1 of the current sticks. If you do this it'll work.

lol my objective is not what I am putting into question. But FYI, I am scoring orchestral music and need a lot of RAM for the sample system.

Yes, because of the triple ch support, correct? That system I'm not that concerned with, I just didn't want the RAM to go to waste. Which means I can put that one up to 12G, which is fine.
The other I need to get to 32G. I am hoping I can just swap in and out and be done with it.

Wanted to make sure you aren't wasting time and money on getting so much RAM. I have worked with scoring programs before so I know how much RAM it takes (used to help director in band).

You'll have to take out 1 stick because of lack of slots. 3+4 = 7 and it only has 6 slots. Doing this should give you 16GB in triple channel because I'm assuming the current kit has 2GB sticks. 4 added to the 12 you'll be putting in should grant 16 in triple.

Wanted to make sure you aren't wasting time and money on getting so much RAM. I have worked with scoring programs before so I know how much RAM it takes (used to help director in band).

You'll have to take out 1 stick because of lack of slots. 3+4 = 7 and it only has 6 slots. Doing this should give you 16GB in triple channel because I'm assuming the current kit has 2GB sticks. 4 added to the 12 you'll be putting in should grant 16 in triple.

Great that sounds fine, and I think the more important system upgrade to 32G is good to go then as well.

Hardly anything lol. I got a 32GB kit in for review so when I was done with performance analysis I added my old 8GB kit to it. I have a 24GB RAMDisk and do Photoshop work myself. Mainly though my computer is used for encoding and gaming. If a friend asks I let them use my PC for hardware intensive things to speed up their work. Other than that it sits pretty and I'm fine with that as I didn't lay a dime on half the stuff in there.

Hardly anything lol. I got a 32GB kit in for review so when I was done with performance analysis I added my old 8GB kit to it. I have a 24GB RAMDisk and do Photoshop work myself. Mainly though my computer is used for encoding and gaming. If a friend asks I let them use my PC for hardware intensive things to speed up their work. Other than that it sits pretty and I'm fine with that as I didn't lay a dime on half the stuff in there.

oh lol alrighty then. Well should I even ask how you didn't spend much on all of that? :)

Won the CPU/Board at Quakecon this year.
GPU I got from trading my old 2500k and board.
32GB Patriot kit came from review, 8GB G.Skill kit came from the 2500k build.
PSU came from 2500k build (I put my 1000w in my server).
H50 came from 2500k build.
NZXT Beta came from review in 2009.
OCZ SSD came from 2500k build.
Raptor came from our awesome admin Trotter.
24" NEC and Projector came from me trading off my PA equipment.
GS2 was a 10 dollar refurb from ATT which turned out to be brand new lol.

In Feb I spent tax return money on:
Biostar P67a
8GB G.Skill Ripjaws
Asus Radeon 5850
OCZ 120GB Vertex 2
Corsair HX850w
Cooler Master Haf 932
Corsair H50
Samsung F3 1TB
Asus DVDRW
2 Asus 23" 1080p LCD

I spent 675 on the whole rig from a Craigslist deal. Various bits and pieces went to different rigs.

Back
Top Bottom