Struggling to find a MOBO

Daretadakatsu

Baseband Member
Hey guys im really struggling to find a motherboard that will fit a hd7950.
all of the ones ive seen seem to have a heatsink slightly in the way;
Could you guys suggest some boards?

My processor is Phenom 1090t x6

if you need to know anything else just ask!

On alot of the boards that are avaialble for my CPU, there is a motherboard heatsink in the way.
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
For example, the width of the card simply wont fit in because of the Gigabyte heatsink

Could you link me to some Boards that are definitely Compatable,

Also my current power supply is 500w Stealthxstream OCZ - is this capble of running the graphics card?

Last edited:
What card do you have? These heatsinks are extremely low profile and those SATA ports actually stick up higher than it. They are designed to be lower than the cards and unless you have some funky card (that I don't know about) then I can 100% guarantee you that your card will fit fine.

I wouldn't trust a 500w OCZ PSU with that card an an X6.

My card is XFX hd7950 - It is quite large the width of the card is 3.5cm.
And Yes i've noticed that sata ports can be in the way aswell,
My current mobo, is GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket AM3 - GA-880GM-UD2H (rev. 1.3)
And the small grey heatsink on that isnt low profile, when i tried the card it was up at an angle and also http://www.cclonline.com/images/MediaPool/OkLHuSlTU-2bBMLFMULcUkzQ-3d-3d_LargeProductImage.jpg

The board I've been told is a good one http://www.cclonline.com/images/MediaPool/OkLHuSlTU-2bBMLFMULcUkzQ-3d-3d_LargeProductImage.jpg

I want to know if it will fit into that, or if there are any other boards :)

Edit: Infact i just looked at the SATA ports on the asrock one, and they also look like they are in the way

Edit: i've also been meaning to ask, does it matter which PCI -e x16 slot you put the card into?

Last edited:
Your card will fit fine. Honestly if you are currently having troubles you are doing something wrong. All I can really say on the matter.

The 990FX and the last board you linked both have the same heatsinks and are both low profile. The one you have now is slightly larger but still shouldn't be causing a clearance issue.

The one i have now, it's actually alot more raised than it looks... im not doing anything wrong :') But also on my current board the sata ports are in the way:

By the looks of things i will be building an entirley new computer, im just wanting to know if it will fit with no problems;
What PSU would you reccomend?

They make these heatsinks with long cards in mind, so no there is no way it could be in the way. I installed an XFX 7870 (same designed heatsink as 7950) onto an Asus Sabertooth (the one with full heatsink coverage) just last week with ease. Like I said, if it isn't fitting you have something else going on. As for the ports, not being able to access makes sense but not in the way. They simply do not sit high enough to block a card being installed. Right angle or not. I currently have a Galaxy 580 with the Accelero heatsink which is a monstrosity that sits on top of my board heatsink that has a heatpipe inside it. It sits higher than a standard low profile sink and still the card fits fine. To give you an idea, it's triple slot and almost as long as a dual GPU card.

Antec High Current 520w Modular or Corsair TX650m for PSU selections. I lean more towards the 650m.

Well i'd be happy to supply a picture of the card not fitting into the current board; And ill take your word for it, Which board would you lean towards?

Would This be as good as the two power supplys you mentioned?>

Edit: probably should mention the only reason im looking at that combo is because im getting a new case aswell, Im leaning towards a Aerocool strike case, or the NZXT phantoms

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom