Beowulf Cluster

Matt77

Daemon Poster
Can you make a Beowulf cluster at home, using old PC's? I've seen some applications of it, but they've all required daisy chaining and that sort of stuff

Matt

I found some information on this because your post spared my interest. I think I am going to try and set one of these up myself in test environment.

When picking hardware remember Each machine is using the same processor architecture, to ease sharing your program executables.

It can be done but depending on the age of the pc's in question it might not be worth it.

If you do make one I would get a gigabit switch for it, the network infrastructure you use can have a pretty big impact on performance.

I got a dedi server today
2x Intel Xeon
4GB RAM (28 moar in the mail)
4 SSD's coming in for raid 0
FireGL GFX card

yeah!

I got a dedi server today
2x Intel Xeon
4GB RAM (28 moar in the mail)
4 SSD's coming in for raid 0
FireGL GFX card

yeah!
Wow. 4 ssds... :eek: What kind did you get?

and 2x Xeons.. What kind of Xeon cpus are those? What are you going to use that for? Heck, you could almost catch up to patonb in F@H with that.

The workstation is from 2007, but the mobo was replaced in 2011 apparantly.
The RAM I had ordered turned out that it didnt fit, so I returned it and am waiting for a replacement. Got another Xeon too, $15 on Amazin +shipping, gonna go for quad cores.

The SSD's I got from the school, they're Samsungs. Now, I need to install a hot swap bay, if I can find one!

And the GFX card was upgraded. I think i'm maxing my budget on this PC pretty soon.

Back
Top Bottom