Not enough power?

Thorax_the_Impaler

Minecraft Veteran
Hello, I have a PC with a P5VD2-VM SE motherboard, and I have some questions about the power this board requires, because of some advice I got on a different website forum about the graphics. Firstly the graphics are intergrated (which I've been told generally means they are horrible); and there is a huge problem with them that I have been trying to fix for some time now. Whenever I attempt to load a game (e.g. Minecraft), the system crashes. No blue screen, no error message, just an instant black screen and then the computer reboots immediately. According to answers I got in the other forum, it was either a driver issue (which I've ruled out because I've tried a variety of drivers including those that are recommended specifically for this board and the problem was never fixed), or a problem with the GPU's power requirements. I was offered the theory that the PSU didn't supply enough power to the GPU and therefore when use for gaming was attempted there wasn't enough power to go around the machine. The PSU is rated at 300W, and the basic setup (at the moment) is:

Processor: Intel Celeron D 3.06 GHz
RAM: 2 GB Installed
HDD: 250 GB (SATA)

I plan to upgrade this machine's processor and RAM for light gaming purposes, but I won't do so if this graphics problem can't be fixed. Any ideas what the problem could be?

That IGP probably takes 40w by itself at best. The PSU is fine and so is its wattage. The problem is the game you are playing (or trying to play) might be trying to use an API not supported by the IGP or the resolution is not supported by the IGP. The board has a VIA chipset, so odds have it this is the deal.

And how would I go about fixing this? Would I need to install a new graphics card in the PCI bay or is it unfixable? If it's 100% unfixable or there's absolutely nothing I can do about it then I'm probably just going to scrap the entire unit.

Well you can't expect to make a turkey with a grain of salt honestly. Intel IGP is bad, but VIA is worse. I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't even support DX9C lol.

Just toss a card in the slot and you'll be ok.

Thank you for the help. Do you have any recommendations for a graphics card? Names, brands, or specs perhaps? Minecraft is probably the extent of any gaming I'd like to do on this particular PC.

Well I'm the type of person who buys most things like this second-hand (e.g. eBay, Craigslist, etc). With that in mind where could $50-$75 get me? And to raise the bar where could $100-$200 get me?

You could buy a brand new 650ti for about 150. That would do perfectly for just about any type of gaming on a C2D.

50-75? Used, possibly a GTX 460 but the PSU wont be up to par for either GPUs.
I can't really comment on used prices though. Every area is different. Here, people still want 200 bucks for their old ass 280s. Ain't gonna happen.

Sounds to me like the 650ti would be the better option, but I'll look into both of those. And what PSU rating would you recommend for either of those cards?

Back
Top Bottom