Can a Hyper 212 EVO keep up with a 3930k?

Almost same CPU, slightly higher OC, 10c difference between a much smaller heatsink than the N14.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/[primary-term]/cooler_master_hyper_212_evo_review

4GHz here and 17c difference compared to N14 using a Delta fan. Depending on Delta RPM, that's comparable to my H50 and Sythe Ultra Kaze setup. Funny considering they are putting the N14 as lower temps than the H100.....That's laughable.

Overclock3D :: Review :: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo Review :: Performance and Conclusion.

Xbit more comparable to what we are talking about here in this thread. 4.3GHz 980x puts the Evo at 84c. That's pretty toasty for these chips.

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler Review. Page 5 - X-bit labs

Point of this, the heatsink is good, but unless your ambient is real cold or you have insane fans on it you really need to get better for hex chips.

It's the wattage of heat being dissipated that matters. Under your logic my Zalman 9700 would be fine because it handled my 125w Phenom 940BE. At 4.2 I utilize roughly 120w at full load but I can assure you I put off more heat with this 3960x than the little 940 did.

I have a 212 Evo running on my 965 BE OC'ed to 3.7ghz and I never see any of the cores go over 58C. Although we have different processors I am positive you will be 100% fine

K, I'll leave this here. No, it is not a good heatsink for overclocking this particular chip like I said. This guy at 4GHz running prime for 7 minutes was in the high 60s and 70s with push/pull. These chips put off way more heat than their 1155 brothers.

Core temps on my i7 3930k - AnandTech Forums

A simple Google shows a ton of people having temp issues trying to overclock these hex chips under an EVO with sub-par performance.

Last edited:
Bleh, they need to start working on how hot chips get IMO... Honestly, coolers are getting to where they are too large, and bleh. Seen where AMD is starting to ship water cooling units on some lines as stock cooling, is intel starting to do the same or?

It's just for overclocking. At stock I could probably use a regular 2500k Intel stock cooler easily. The N14 is the largest cooler to date and the recent new stuff coming out is concentrating on larger heat pipes rather than raw fin space. Unless something drastic changes I don't really see chips getting any hotter.

If there's anyone that's still wondering about how good exactly the Hyper 212 Evo is, I've got my new 3930k overclocked to 4.5GHz with a vcore of 1.270 volts and a max load temperature of 69C. I've been running F@H on it for the past 6 hours. I got a voltage warning in the Asus Turbo Evo monitor so I increased the voltage from 1.265 to 1.270. Now I think it's pretty stable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom