Can a Hyper 212 EVO keep up with a 3930k?

Veraster

In Runtime
At some point in the near future I will receive a new socket 2011 motherboard and a 3930k cpu. I also bought a CM Hyper 212 EVO without doing a lot of research because 1)It's only going to be temporary and 2) it was the cheapest heatsink I could find for that socket.

Before anyone points it out, I know it's lame to spend all that money on one of these beastly processors and not overclock it when you can buy the non-unlocked version for ~$200 less. I am going to water cool it after I get around to modding some fan/radiator mounts into my ancient server tower that's probably been around since the beginning of the history of server towers. But that's for another day.

So will that heatsink be able to cool that cpu to a safe temperature as long as nothing is overclocked? If I have to turn of hyper threading or something maybe it will compel me to hurry up and finish modding that case. I paid for the cheapest cooling so what performance should I expect?

I first say, the 3820 isn't the same CPU as the 3930k. The 3820 is only a quad while the 3930k is a hex and unlocked with less L3 cache than the 3960x. I'll now say, there is no point in having any of these CPUs right now. Nothing uses the hex chips, and the 3820 is easily out matched by the 3770k. Not only that, IB-E is being released next year some time. I wouldn't want somebody here wasting 500 bucks on a chip for nothing, especially with those coming out finally. Not unless you just have a ton of extra cash to blow.

To answer your question, yea it'll cool it easily. My 3960x is at 4.5 under an H50 with one fan. Despite being total beast CPUs they are rather cool compared to AMDs **** 4 cores. They also don't eat up as much power.

You said you are running an H50 on your 3960x. How much better is the H50 than the Hyper 212 Evo? Can I run it almost 24/7 with F@H and not worry about killing it like I can't do with my 3610QM?

Last edited:
To answer your question, yea it'll cool it easily. My 3960x is at 4.5 under an H50 with one fan. Despite being total beast CPUs they are rather cool compared to AMDs **** 4 cores. They also don't eat up as much power.

<.<

You said you are running an H50 on your 3960x. How much better is the H50 than the Hyper 212 Evo? Can I run it almost 24/7 with F@H and not worry about killing it like I can't do with my 3610QM?
With one fan I folded with it at 4.2GHz in the 60s. How much better? I can't say guaranteed as I have no experience with that particular heatsink but the H50 rivals good air so I'll guess marginally better at best.

I run 2 212+s on my sr-2 with l5639s overclocked to 3.1Ghz with a 1.31Vcore. They run 60C and 68C

Theres like 5C difference between a evo and a noctua dh-14
I'm pretty sure it's more than that, but even still 5c is a big deal with air cooling.

I was speaking of AMDs 8150 which is quite literally a 4 core with HT. It's all how their module system works as the 2 cores in 1 module share resources just like HT does in Intel. The only difference is one is physical and the other is completely virtual. It is the sole reason why current AMD CPUs suck IMO. You got 2 things sucking juice but only 1 thing coming out that is the equivalent of 1 thing in 1 thing out for Intel.

How much better will my cooling be if I attach a second fan in a push/pull configuration? Would it be worth the $8 it costs or not make a difference?

On the EVO? For air cooling you always want push/pull for heavy loads. The faster you can move the air off the heatsink the better. You also need to have more cold air coming in.
I can't remember who I said it to, but an air cooler only has so much room to dissipate heat and you want the most conducting materials to move the heat off the IHS, and you want the most air and pressure to move that heat away from the fins. On a water cooler of any sort it has more room to travel, therefor more time to get the heat away from the source.

Back
Top Bottom