Upgrading Media Center a1357c?

Thorax_the_Impaler

Minecraft Veteran
Hello I have an HP Media Center PC that's been my main PC for almost two years. However, I realized a while ago it's hardware leaves a lot to be desired. :umm: So, I decided to upgrade the RAM from 1GB to 4GB (maximum the board allows), but I didn't end up purchasing it because I was told by a few sources I have that the processor (AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+) is the basis for why I should just get a new PC. I don't really want to do that so I looked for processor upgrades and through my research I only found one processor that's only slightly faster (AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+). The current specs are:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Approx. 2.2 GHz per core
RAM: 1 GB
HDD: 250 GB

The specs would be:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Approx. 2.4 Ghz per core
RAM: 4GB
HDD: 250 GB

In my unprofessional opinion the upgrade is worth it. What do you think?

P.S. Thank you in advance. :)

No not really. There is only a 200MHz jump in speed and you wont see the difference. What about the C2D setup? That would be a bigger increase in performance.

Oh okay I understand. As far as I'm aware, the motherboard of my Media Center PC doesn't support the other processor I mentioned as I can't find one with a socket 939 connection. In addition the official HP specs indicate that only three different processors are compatible with the motherboard, hence why I had the other setup in mind. I'd like to build my own PC down the line, but I've priced out how much it would run me and I came up at least $1000. Being that I have school as well as living expenses, I can't afford that anytime soon. My plan was to upgrade one of these PC's to, in a sense, hold me off until I was financially stable enough to afford building my own. What are your thoughts?

Use the other one. Like I said, the C2D is about 2x the power of even the 4600+. There is no point in upgrading this current setup any further as it would be a waste of money if you have another option.

Back
Top Bottom