Video card installation for ASUS Essentio CM6730-US-2AD

Obsessor

Solid State Member
Recently I ordered an ASUS Essentio CM6730-US-2AD desktop computer off Amazon. It was on sale for only 300 something dollars for the holidays and such. It has everything I want except a dedicated graphics card. I was hoping to install a GeForce GTX 550 Ti, but I've heard that I may need to put in a new power supply in order to do this. Is this true? If so, what do you guys recommend that's compatible with everything and whatnot?

In case you're wondering, I read about this from here.

well how big is the stock PSU?
Big as in the physical size of the box, or big as in the wattage? If the former, well, it actually hasn't arrived yet so I can't look inside. If it's the wattage, then I believe it's 300 watts. I hear the 550 Ti requires a constant 12V rail, but I'm not sure if it has that or not.

Looks like its a 300w which limits you to a 7750 or something along the lines of a gt 620 to 640. You can also upgrade the memory to 8 gb. The case is big enough for a new psu but its top mounted which kinda sucks.

Looks like its a 300w which limits you to a 7750 or something along the lines of a gt 620 to 640. You can also upgrade the memory to 8 gb. The case is big enough for a new psu but its top mounted which kinda sucks.
Alright. So, I guess I'll just have to get a new PSU then?

Don't waste your money on a 550ti. If you are on a budget you can get a CX500 (Corsair) and a 650ti. Much more performance for your money and doesn't require such a beefy PSU.

Don't waste your money on a 550ti. If you are on a budget you can get a CX500 (Corsair) and a 650ti. Much more performance for your money and doesn't require such a beefy PSU.
A 550ti is probably enough for what I'd be using it for (a few games, video editing/rendering with Sony Vegas, and Project64 1.6) so I don't think I really need a 650ti at the moment.

The 650TI is $40-60 more, and if you upgrade now, you'd save on the price if you decide to upgrade in the future.

Back
Top Bottom