2K to play with...Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIRISH

Baseband Member
So as I sit here on my Sony Vio 1.8GHZ p4 with 512MB ram and NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 256MB trying to play HL2, I have come to the point where I must upgrade or build. I am choosing the build option. My problem is with all the items out there and acronyms and such, I have no idea what is good and what is not. I have 2k to spend on the guts of the machine....No cd players or monitors or soundcards, just MB, Proc, Ram, video, and cooling. I have a lian Li case but doesnt seem to have much are for more fans. So what I am asking is if you had 2k to spend building a good gaming machine what would you do.

Sorry if this has been asked before, I just hate searching.

slvrstang said:
I wouldn't go duals for a gaming PC. Waste of money

So says your opinion. I would like to see why you think this. Your gona tell me two Xeons are slower than a single AMD 64 aren't you.. lol

I say AMD's are a waste of money.. That's what I say.

See, we both say something different.

ChaosBlizzard said:
So says your opinion. I would like to see why you think this. Your gona tell me two Xeons are slower than a single AMD 64 aren't you.. lol

I say AMD's are a waste of money.. That's what I say.

See, we both say something different.

Depending on what you are using it for, then my answer would be mostly yes, a single athlon 64 would be faster than 2 xeons. Xeons are designed as workstation and low end server processors that share the load between processors. So, yes they may be better for things like multitasking, but thats about it. Running single processes would be faster on an athlon 64, even if you had 8 xeons in one computer. The xeon, like the P4 EE, has a ton of useless cache on it that wouldn't benefit anyone unless they were running a server. The Athlon 64 kicks the shit out of any p4EE or xeon in gaming, and is about a third of the price. Not to mention they run cooler and last longer

OK before you start your game, check to see how much if your CPU is being used. It doesn't matter what CPU the game runs on, it wont make a difference. The fact is, both CPUs will be free to run the game, and only 1 cpu will be used to play it. 2 CPUs will only benefit you if you are encoding movies and running a database server under high load while playing your game, which most people opt out of doing. But, if thats the case, again you can by a couple of Opteron 250s for way less money and get a system that performs better and runs cooler than a xeon system

FuriousYellow said:
OK before you start your game, check to see how much if your CPU is being used. It doesn't matter what CPU the game runs on, it wont make a difference. The fact is, both CPUs will be free to run the game, and only 1 cpu will be used to play it. 2 CPUs will only benefit you if you are encoding movies and running a database server under high load while playing your game, which most people opt out of doing. But, if thats the case, again you can by a couple of Opteron 250s for way less money and get a system that performs better and runs cooler than a xeon system

So basically what your saying here is, a game has more demand than a server? That's what your telling me.

So basically, you just said, a game requires more CPU power, than say 3000 users accessing files on a system at once.

BTW- I have benchmarks that show Xeons with higher performance than those Opterons. The cache, like you said, really helps. They are up to 2MB now..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom