duel processor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OKAY... Can't we all just get along :)

Now I know TF members are very knowledgeable about computers and take pride in their Machines... I know I do .... which tends to lead people taking offense at otherwise non-confrontational words.

Lets just know that is the case when it comes to talking about your own PC or someone elses.

Don't you get it ... when ever one says, " MY COMPUTER IS THE FASTEST", someelse says, " No Mine is"...
and then both people are passionate about their PC's and then you have what we have in this thread.

50% GREAT information
50% insults, talking smack, clever words trying to flame others, etc etc.

Now, I'm going to close this thread and edit some post.
then reopen it... because its a very interest discussion.

I bet there would be ZERO problems if words like these were not used:
"your pc"
"my pc"
"mine is faster"
"your PC can't do that"
"you must not understand how a computer works"
blah blah blah....

anyway.... it seems that some people try to prove their point by belittling others, OR their machines.

now... just remember the rules and just refrain from making the "comments, remarks" that you KNOW don't need to be said...

Okay.. do we have deal?

thanks

Okay... I think I did an okay job of editting this thread... I hopefully took out the negative stuff and left the good info.

Please refrain from posting negative or uncivil comments towards members or their machines... If you say something, back it up with facts, not flames or sarcasm or cheap shots....

If one post negative crap, REMEMBER ... be the "bigger" man and let it go. Send a smod a PM about it. Or take your comments offline... not in the public board.

THANKS

I asked earlier if he would run a simple thread based bench test. I would post my results if he would take a look at it. The bench test is capable of testing the machine against multiple threads.

That performance difference is the average between handling one thread and two. Since the system is always processing two threads.. You can not say the application has to be written to gain performance.

See:
http://clibench.daemonware.ch/

I didn't ask for benchmarks Chaos nor was I challenging them. I simply asked, what is your machine best at doing in comparison to the higher end chips, meaning simply, does it perform better at gaming, or is it more based off you'll notice a greater increase in applications? This is what I wanted to know the entire time....

That is exactly what I meant when I said
Rather let me rephrase that.

Which 'high speed' chips exactly are you referring to that it outperform? Is really the question I would like to know. And under what circumstances, do you mean benchmarks or as far as gaming, applications??
Disregard the 'which high speed chips' part because we've already discussed what you were referring to, but the question still applies, under what circumstances does your computer perform the best in comparison to higher end model computers. Is it benchmarks, gaming, or applications or what?

And you can't simply say 'It does them all better' because that's a really vague answer. It can't just be the best in everything, there's always gotta be a balance, if it's good at something it's gotta be bad at something else know what I mean? Just like the laws of chemistry and equal exchange sort of.

I simply wanted to know what your machine really excels at, what are the main perks of it having 2 processors ( besides running 2 diff threads ) and still having it even though it is technically using outdated parts. Of course all of these can be simply answered by either you can't afford a new machine, or the one you have currently suits your every needs....which leads me to wonder how well your computer does in gaming.

Sure it can take the OS Applications running in the background on one processor so basically you have a processor completely dedicated to the game correct? If this is the case, then how do current games run on your machine?

Even with two processors, it'd seem like the RAM would be an issue simply because CPU #1 has to take a little bit of that RAM for it's thread and CPU #2 has to take some RAM for the game you are running correct? Also, if this is the case, then wouldn't your Gaming experience even with a good card such as the 9600XT be limited being that not only is it a slower frequency of RAM, but it's only 256mb or atleast according to your sig that's how much I've gathered you have.

So then isn't your GPU, limited by your RAM and your CPU's limited by the RAM also simply because you don't have enough of it to go around? It'd be like 128mb for the CPU#1 doing the background apps and 128mb going to CPU#2 for the game, or does it like designate say 32mb to CPU#1 or however much is needed bare minimum to run those background apps and the rest goes to the AGP Aperture when gaming?

Hope that clarifies more in depth my original question, as I wasn't challenging your benchmarks nor do I care...I'm looking for real world usage and application and why you really keep your current machine and don't upgrade.... Money issue or is it simply it does everything you need and in your eyes theres absolutely no reason for upgrading...

Also what kind of applications are you running if it suits your needs, what 'needs' do you require from your computer meaning, what all do you use it for exactly?

Yes the system is limited by the RAMs speed. I never said anything otherwise to that. Also, I have since upgraded my RAM. I added a 256MB Corsair XMS150 module. The system no longer uses the swap file. Even with an 88MB/s throughput that was lagging.

Also, why does there have the be a balance? Your saying no chip can do all of the above better than another? You also can't say that, as that is a vague statement.

I am not really heavy on gaming myself. So I can't answer your question on how well it would perform. The games I play are Renegade, Baldur's Gate Series, StarCraft, Red Alert, Earth 2150, and others that are quite similar as far as minimum requirements go.

I DO however use Visual Studio! That application has been programmed to use both processors.. I write code in Visual Basic 6. So having that program compile faster really helps. So, I guess you could say this system would compile code faster than any one chip.

Also, the Operating System itself runs very fast, because it again can use both CPU's. It's nice doing everyday application tasks at an accelerated rate.

No it's not a money issue. However College isn't cheap. Would you like to pay my $36,000 tuition for just an associates degree? Yes, it does cost that much for just an associates when you go to ITT-Tech.

I spent $3000+ on this machine, and it was well spent. I don't need another machine right now. However when I do build the next one, it will have dual Xeon's with SCSI. I also want it to have dual channel memory.

I DO however use Visual Studio! That application has been programmed to use both processors.. I write code in Visual Basic 6. So having that program compile faster really helps. So, I guess you could say this system would compile code faster than any one chip.

Also, the Operating System itself runs very fast, because it again can use both CPU's. It's nice doing everyday application tasks at an accelerated rate.
Oh aright, cool, thats more along the lines of the information I wanted to know, once you say that, yeah I'm sure it does compile the code like a beast.

Also, why does there have the be a balance? Your saying no chip can do all of the above better than another? You also can't say that, as that is a vague statement.
No I meant it like, in this case obviously your pc does extremely well with applications and the OS itself, but not games, that's the balance I was referring to so I got that answer, the games you play are pretty old school so yeah I would assume your computer handles it just fine especially with the XMS 150 in there and that graphics card definitely helps it, so yeah it's basically a nice strong applications machine, and not so much for gaming. So that answers my 'balance' question and what you really use it for

No it's not a money issue. However College isn't cheap. Would you like to pay my $36,000 tuition for just an associates degree? Yes, it does cost that much for just an associates when you go to ITT-Tech.
Nope, don't care to pay it as going to an Art Institute in a place like Seattle will cost me pretty much the same for an Associates Degree so I know exactly what you're talking about....even that's nothing compared to this girl I know who decided to go to a private college and is paying $850 per credit and she's getting her bachelors...whew..can't imagine that price tag...

I had considered ITT-Tech or Devry myself, but didn't really find a field I care to make my life in. Rather I think I'm going to go with sound production.

Anywho, that better clarifies what exactly your system does, because honestly I didn't know what exactly it did the best, and now I know. Thanks for the simple response ;)

Kadahaf said:
2 processors is for servers and is pointless if you run it as a PC
More like a waste of money for PCs unless you need some thing with some serious grunt.
Buying a Dual Processor System so you can just play games on it in a big waste of money IMHO. (I have seen people do this)
However if you are doing some serious multimedia or CAD work, then it worthwhile.

I would not be purchasing a dual processor machine just so I could play HL2.

Harper said:
More like a waste of money for PCs unless you need some thing with some serious grunt.
Buying a Dual Processor System so you can just play games on it in a big waste of money IMHO. (I have seen people do this)
However if you are doing some serious multimedia or CAD work, then it worthwhile.

I would not be purchasing a dual processor machine just so I could play HL2.

You should see my systems multimedia score in Si Sandra... They should be on my sig. I don't use CAD, but I have used 3dStudio Max for fun before. I took a class for 3dMax a while ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom