Upgrading CPU, MB, Ram - Advice Needed

Ok thanks for the input PP. But, if I were to run both blocks and both rads would the single MCP355 be enough for a pump? I know I have seen people run a 360 RAD when they cool the chipsets and the CPU but is running the CPU and GPU in the same loop ok for temps? Like is the benefit of running a 240 rad to the GPU that much of a cooling benefit?

Ok cool thanks for the info PP... Well I'll go with a loop like this then... let me know but it should be good: Pump>360Rad>CPU>GPU>Rez>Pump... Reading more into it, this should be beefy enough for the CPU and GPU: XSPC RX360 - 3x120mm Radiator Rev. 2 Thanks for the help sir. I guess I just haven't seen that many loops with the CPU and GPU running off of one 360Rad...

I've seen a ton. The thing is most people tend to go a bit overboard because they can afford it. I just don't see the point unless you are looking for retarded high OCs.

Go like this.
Pump - CPU - GPU - RAD - Res - Pump. You want cold water hitting your blocks then being cooled off by the rad before hitting your pump. Hot water in your res can cause condensation as well meaning every once in a while you will need to refill your loop. When you look at your car it goes res pump engine rad back to the engine, not the other way around ;)

Thanks for the info PP... well now it's time to put together the part's list for xmas and get to buying!!! Yeah I'm not looking for retarded high oc's but I do want to oc the cpu and the single GPU I have. I plan on sticking with my single GTX 680 4gb for awhile since it is pretty beast! I know with it oc'd and on water I won't actually need another video card... 3 other questions:

1. What tubing would you suggest? Maybe something like this for 1/2" tubing? Tygon R3400 1/2in. ID 3/4in. OD Laboratory Tubing # AAE00038
2. I plan to buy another monitor so stupid question but would you suggest I run my old GTX285 as a dedicated card for that screen or just run both screens off of my GTX 680?
3. I need some new thermal grease :) Any suggestion...

Thank you again for all your help sir! Knowledge is power!

Last edited:
1. Tygon is good. I use clear tube from Lowes myself. 3 dollars gets me like 10ft or something like that.
2. Just run it off your 680. No reason not to.
3. AS5, MX-4, take your pick. Long as it is reputable it'll work good.

OK cool thanks sir. Is there any major difference with the Tygon tubing they had listed on their site for the 1/2" tubing like these: Tygon R3603 1/2in. ID 3/4in. OD Laboratory Tubing # AAC00038 | Liquid Cooled PC Tubing and Tygon R3400 1/2in. ID 3/4in. OD Laboratory Tubing # AAE00038

Also, I'm trying to think of a decent rez to go with since the one I have is pretty crappy... opinion on these: XSPC Acrylic Reservoir for Laing DDC or XSPC Acrylic Dual 5.25in Reservoir for One Laing DDC

I also plan to get a heatsink for it: MCP35X Series Heat Sink for MCP35X pump

What is your opinion on spreading the thermal paste versus a little ball? I've heard both ways... Spreading causes bubbles and a ball isn't evenly spread... I also did more research on the RX360 rad and I am still sold on it :)

Besides one being black it appears (according to their specs) that the black tube is a bit tougher.

I was never big on having a res. Personally, I would always have a T line but I could never get them to work right so my vote goes for the smaller res.

That heatsink isn't necessary.

Grain of rice, always. People tend to forget exactly what TIM is for. You don't need a perfect layer as that can just cause heat blanket effect, as can the air bubbles. The pressure between the metal surfaces spreads the paste to fill the microscopic dents between the metal for perfect contact. Spreading yourself can cause air bubbles to form between the IHS and paste which will cause your CPU (or GPU) to be warmer.

Thanks for the info PP... so I found the tubing that I have in my current loop: PrimoFlex Pro LRT UV Blue Tubing -1/2in. ID X 3/4in. OD Products Model: PFLEXP-34-B [PFLEXP-34-B] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come is Tygon better than this?

I was trying to do some more research on the Res. and this XSPC Acrylic Reservoir for Laing DDC did have some great reviews... though I couldn't find anything on this one: XSPC Acrylic Dual 5.25in Reservoir for One Laing DDC... still kinda torn lol... I'm not really sure of the performance of the Bay res but I like it for some reason lol...

Grain of rice it is then... In that shape or just a little ball about that big? That makes sense with having the pressure spread it out...

Lol I'm gonna be completely straight up, blunt, and honest. It doesn't F`n matter. I spent 30 bucks on Tygon tube when I got my first water loop. Bought plenty just to be on the safe side. Learned my lesson hard when 10x cheaper did the same thing and I didn't have to wait on shipping. Same goes for your res. Get what you like, what size you want, and what is practical. The way I feel personally on res is it's a waste of flow but I'm forced to use a small one anyways because I can never properly get a T line going. I use a small Swiftech res that gets the job done and relieves the loop of air during a 24 hour run for bubbles. So basically if you like it and it's reputable go ahead and get it. If I ever get another res, it's gonna be one of these bad boys.
FrozenQ Liquid Fusion 160 ml Reservoir - UV Blue (POM) Products Model: FQPC-LIQ-FUSION-160-UVB-POM [FQPC-LIQ-FUSION-160-UVB-POM] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

Yea, grain of rice indicates the size you use. Long as it isn't any bigger than that and is in the center you're good.

Back
Top Bottom