Gaming Keyboards and Mice

Thanks guys, and Trotter why did you buy a 70 dollar mechanical? Nothing wrong with that, but why not just buy a 70 dollar gamer?

I don't need/use macros. I had a Siatek Eclipse before that served my needs; I only replaced it as I had worn the paint off several keys. I wanted a mechanical and no numpad and this one fit the bill on both fronts as there are very few decent keyboards w/o a numpad.

Thanks guys, and Trotter why did you buy a 70 dollar mechanical? Nothing wrong with that, but why not just buy a 70 dollar gamer?

Mechanical keyboards had a comeback as gamer keyboards really. Fluid action and response is the marketing buzz surround mechanical keyboards and gaming. I personally get no better between using a 10 dollar Logitech from Walmart, my 100 dollar Lycosa, or a Blackwidow Ultimate. The only difference for me is typing, and I type a lot. I prefer something comfortable so I stick with laptop styled keys. Currently I'm using my Lycosa because my son messed up my Fatal1ty keyboard.

The only thing that may improve your gaming about a mechanical keyboard is the switch styles. You can look at them in depth here Mechanical Keyboard Guide . MX-Black switches require a lot more force to get the key press, and it helps to stop fat fingering. Other than that specific application mechanical keyboards don't offer more in terms of instant bettering at video games, it's all about the feel. They only key style I can use other than mechanical keys are scissor switches. They make typing a whole lot easier and more fluid. They're more expensive and last roughly 10x more keypresses than rubber dome's, so they're an investment and a bit of a luxury item, but I think they're worth it at the end of the day.

I use a razer lycosta keyboard and a RAT 9 mouse. The keyboard is amazing, but I find the RAT somewhat awkward in my hand. Then again, this could probably be fixed by adjusting the mouse to a smaller size, but meh. I will probably get a Razer mouse in the near future.

First, Mattmatt; sorry if I'm invading on your thread, but I have also been looking into purchasing a gaming mouse/keyboard. So, I felt it was rather redundant to make a separate thread about it, which I know a lot of forums frown upon. But hey assuming you haven't made your decision yet, maybe some new options will be opened up for you to explore.

I have experimented with both the Razer Imperator and Deathadder models (I think), and both have proved themselves very uncomfortable for me to hold. So, I have dug around, and I am currently leaning pretty strongly toward the Logitech G110 keyboard and G400 mouse. I've read and watched a lot of good reviews on them both. But if anyone has had any truly horrific experiences with them, please enlighten me.

My real question though, is the mouse pad. I've seen a lot of debating about what pad works best with [such and such] mouse. Does it really make that big off a difference? And if so, what are your suggestions?

Depending on your desk surface and quality of mouse you don't need a pad. I have had a Razer Destructor for a 3-4 years and with my G700 I don't really need it as it scans my white table/desk perfectly.

Depending on your budget I would look into the G500 or G700 instead. The G400 is ok, but it's kind of bottom of the line. I can vouch for the G700. The G500 is simply a redesigned G5 rev2.

Most desks don't need a mouse pad, and honestly I don't see the need of spending 20 dollars for a "gaming pad" and in my case, I do need a mouse pad because I have a glass desk, and my pullout keyboard thing has holes. I just have an old Dell mouse pad that I found in my house.

Back
Top Bottom