Gaming Keyboards and Mice

Mattmatt

In Runtime
Recently, I have put some thought into buying a gaming keyboard and mouse. I don't really have any games that use macros, and was wondering if there really was a point? I also am wondering what games are really good, and when having a great mouse/keyboard it gives you an advantage. For my gaming needs, I mostly use my Xbox 360 controller adapter. Would making the switch with a good keyboard/mouse be worth it?

Very worth it. The whole point of switching over from console is graphics, and the precision of a mouse. No autoaim here chief.

In my experience, having a "gaming" keyboard isn't needed at all unless you play MMO. I don't play MMO, and I have never used a single macro button in my life. My best friend has a G510 and he doesn't use any of those buttons either. So on that note, you can either get a mechanical keyboard for typing and response, or you can do like I do and get a 10 dollar cheapo that types nice and call it a day.

The experience is ALL in the mouse, and is totally a personal preference. You have to get a feel of what kind of grip you want. Palm, or claw. Palm is typically a Logitech grip. the mouse center is bigger allowing you to have your whole hand on the mouse for total control.
The claw grip primarily comes from Razer mice. They are thinner and longer allowing you to use the tips of your fingers to grip the mouse. I personally use a G700 and I'm more comfortable with a heavier palm grip. So I suggest going to Best Buy or where ever might have mice on display and feel what is more comfortable for you.

Thanks for that response PP. What games do you play that you have seen the difference in? Also, do you think spending an extra 10-20 dollars is worth it to get the macros?

Last edited:
Believe it or not, my gaming mouse I feel is more of an all around productivity mouse. The improvement is felt in everything I do with my PC. When I use another computer, I unplug my wireless dongle and plug it in to the other computer to use my mouse. My best friend liked his mouse (same as mine) so much he bought a second one just for work. Like I said, the mouse is the key component here. Guy I built a PC for last night got on my PC to search for some Youtube songs and when he used my mouse he was like whoa this thing is nice.
As for an actual response to your question, FPS. A good mouse is a serious game changer for FPS. Any FPS at that.

For the macros, all I can say is this. Think of those programmable keys and ask yourself, is there anything I do in games or on a PC that I can use those extra buttons for. If you find no plausible reason, then the answer is no not worth it. If you really want to buy a good keyboard I would buy a mechanical keyboard. The extra response is supposed to help in gaming, but honestly, I have no problems with a regular keyboard.

Okay, in the next day or so I will probably head into best buy and see if I like Logitech over Razer. Do you think there will be any deals on a mouse over black friday?

A gaming mouse makes opening Control Panel exciting!

Seriously, if you have the scratch, get it. It's very helpful in FPS games.

I use a Mionix Naos 500 mouse that has a whole hand grip and has 5040dpi. I have also used a Razer Diamondback and Razer Lachesis. Bottom line is that a "gaming" mouse is a necessity, period.

I now use a CoolerMaster Rapid Quick Fire mechanical keyboard. As PP said, gaming keyboards are not a real requirement unless you are into MMOs, but I have found that I really like mechanical keyboards. I chose my current keyboard because I wanted one without a numpad (I like having my hands closer together when gaming).

PP's advice is solid. Go try out several mice before you buy. Once you know what kind of grip is best for you then you can shop around online and see what you can find. I got my Mionix for a review but liked it so much that I sold my Razer. I had never even heard of Mionix until just before then.

Back
Top Bottom