New Build ~ $1600

Spit-wad

Bake a Pretty Cake!
Hey guys,

I could use some help selecting parts for a new gaming + streaming build. I plan to make use of whatever Black Friday deals I can find. Budget isn't strict - I want a powerful rig and am willing to pay for it, but I'm also interested in saving $ wherever I can. Realistically I'm expecting to spend between $1300-1800. Prefer to purchase from Newegg/Amazon.

Budget only includes the computer. OS + External devices are already taken care of. I'll also include my tri-monitor plans at the bottom of this thread, but monitors aren't included in the budget.

CPU+Mobo: i7 something.

GPU: Needs to support 3 large monitors (see bottom of post). Gaming is for Dota 2, Starcraft II, CS:GO, etc - nothing too intensive. I do not intend to play games across multiple monitors.

HDD: I think I only need a decent sized SSD. I'm planning to build a server for my media anyways. I have an extra 500GB drive I can throw in if need be.

RAM: ?

PSU: ?

Soundcard: I do some audio work. Don't need anything super fancy, but I'd like something better than onboard sound for a change.

Optical Drive: None? Is this acceptable now? I can't remember the last time I've used mine (and on the rare occasion I need to rip a CD/DVD I do have other computers to use).

Case: Open to suggestions. Nothing too flashy, but also not boring. Not Antec 900 because I already have one and I'm bored of it.

Could anyone get me started here?

Monitors: I want a 3-monitor setup where the sides are portrait and the dimensions match with the middle monitor.
Example: http://i.imgur.com/y2gV3.jpg

This picture uses a Dell Ultrasharp U3011 30" (2560x1600) and two Ultrasharp 2007FP 20" (1600x1200). When turned in portrait mode, they have the same 1600px height. These monitors are gorgeous and I love my current UltraSharp, but they are pretty expensive ($1400 + $430x2 = $2260).

Can anyone recommend a similar setup with a cheaper brand? I also want to make sure they are mountable on a tri-monitor arm, which I have no experience with so any arm guidance is also appreciated (something like this). Alternatively I might just try to wall mount all of them separately.

Last edited:
You must have an optical drive in order to install everything, like windows and what not.

You must have an optical drive in order to install everything, like windows and what not.
Can't I just install windows via usb flash drive?

i'll take a shot at it.
Thanks! A few questions...

1. Is there anything specific I should be looking for in a SSD other than size/brand? The specs look pretty similar across the board.

2. That case looks decent. I generally like what I see from NZXT and CoolerMaster. My main priority is cable management because I've never been able to wire my Antec 900 in a clean manner, although I think my PSU is partly to blame.

3. Won't an i7 give me better performance than an i5 (or is it not that simple)? I do some video encoding as well so I'm willing to drop some extra cash on a better CPU to speed up my encodes.

4. I know people tend to overbuy on the PSU, but is 650W really enough for this kind of build?

5. Any other options for the video card? GTX 670/680? Or is the 7970 generally accepted as the best value in that tier?

6. You're right, I probably don't need a soundcard. But I have heard that a cheap soundcard can provide some extra options for audio work. Know anything about that? It seems difficult to find people who actually know about audio hardware, and most of what I read from google just confuses me more.

Can't I just install windows via usb flash drive?
Thanks! A few questions...

1. Is there anything specific I should be looking for in a SSD other than size/brand? The specs look pretty similar across the board.
it's my impression that at least for the latest generation, intel, corsair and ocz make some good drives. it's also my impression that intel has the least rate of returns for defective units.
2. That case looks decent. I generally like what I see from NZXT and CoolerMaster. My main priority is cable management because I've never been able to wire my Antec 900 in a clean manner, although I think my PSU is partly to blame.
the psu that i linked to is the best of both worlds, semi-modular. the cords that you will definitely need are hardwired. all other cords are included and can be plugged in as needed.
3. Won't an i7 give me better performance than an i5 (or is it not that simple)? I do some video encoding as well so I'm willing to drop some extra cash on a better CPU to speed up my encodes.
if youre gaming 95% of the time, then the value/performance probably isnt there. gaming will at most use 4 cores, but for 99% of the games out there just use 1 core. having another 4 threads from hyperthreading isnt doing anything for you. it's your computer, but i would rather use that extra cash to upgrade the gpu in 18 months.
4. I know people tend to overbuy on the PSU, but is 650W really enough for this kind of build?
a high quality 550w will do it. 650 watt is a good place to be. anything more when you arent crossfiring is overkill.
5. Any other options for the video card? GTX 670/680? Or is the 7970 generally accepted as the best value in that tier?
i think the 660 ti is at a great value point right now. i believe the 670 and 680 you are paying for early adoption.
6. You're right, I probably don't need a soundcard. But I have heard that a cheap soundcard can provide some extra options for audio work. Know anything about that? It seems difficult to find people who actually know about audio hardware, and most of what I read from google just confuses me more.
i think bottom line is that if you dont have $1000 worth of speakers to plug into, you wont know the difference between the onboard and the card. ive heard both ways, though; that the cheapest of soundcards makes a big difference and that you only hear a difference once you pay over $100. i wouldnt bother with anything unless you are some sort of sound processing technician.

I agree on the CPU.

As for GPU, the 680 takes the cake hands down. It's your PC, but I personally would chose a 680 over a 7970 at this point.

The difference between SSDs is quality. Bout all I can say really without getting technical. Intel, Samsung, and Crucial make some of the best quality wise. OCZ have been stepping up their game with chip changes and such, but with their financial issues I wouldn't buy anything new from them.

Onboard sound is perfectly fine unless you have some seriously good cans or studio bookshelf speakers. If you need good inputs you can always buy a USB device for such things.

I know about the sound hardware, and the only thing different are the DACs and amps. Something that can't be heard with run of the mill audio equipment.

As for the USB thing, yea you can install Windows off a USB. You need an ISO and the Windows to USB tool to do it.

I tend to build a new PC every 4-5 years without really upgrading in between. A minor $ difference between the 608 and 7970 isn't a big deal if it's truly better.

And yeah, I have a flash drive that I've installed windows 7 with already, so I think I can do without the optical drive. Thanks, PP Mcguire.

Tis be Mguire ;)

A ton of people and sites are claiming the 12.11 drivers are putting the 7 series over the 600 series in performance. I just played with a 7870 last night and I call BS. The performance is slightly better, but not a game changer.

Display Port is slowly becoming the new standard over current digital lines like DVI and HDMI. Slowly being the key word here. You would need to buy an adapter for your third monitor using one of the Display ports. The 680 on the other hand can handle up to 4 displays. 2 DVI and 1 HDMI would be your best bet there.

That case is super wide but getting good reviews. It's more so a test bench than anything.

No you don't.

Back
Top Bottom