Western Digital Elements Drive not spinning

nitingarg

Beta member
Hello,

I accidentally dropped by WD elements drive and now when I connect it to my PC, I can see the white light (it blinks in the beginning and then is constantly on) .. but nothing shows up in My Computer. My PC makes the little sound also when it detects the drive and it shows up as a USB MAss Storage device in the Device Manager but in Disk Management it shows 2.0 TB of Unallocated space and then when I try to click "re-Initialize" it says Access is Denied.

The Drive in the beginning makes a weird click/buzz sound before it goes completely silent and stop spinning.

Please help me solve this problem as this drive and its contents are super important.

Thanks
~Nitin

What is a lock switch and where is it?

The fall was about 4 feet

The drive makes a buzzing sound when it is connected to the PC. It would buzz and then go silent and then buzz again and go silent..this happens for about 3-4 times until it goes completely silent and unactive but it keeps on showing in the Device Manager in the computer.

This is how it looks without the casing. (I noticed the jumpers configured in a weird way)

hxxp://i46.tinypic.com/2h64oxj.jpg

Last edited:
There is no locking button or slider on the drive?

You possibly broke the disk. Is the cable still in good condition?

The cable is a standard USB cable which I believe is in a good condition. I tried the USB cable of my phone and even that didn't help.

You're going to have to yank that drive out and plug it into your system normally instead of using the casing. Most likely the disk itself is busted to be honest, but that doesn't mean you can't recover data from it. I recently had to do the same with another WD Elements drive for a friend. I can't remember the software I used for it, but I think it was something that was paid.

Best case scenario, the enclosure is messed up, but it's a slim chance. Hate to be the bearer of bad news on that one.

Could always talk to WD and see if they could replace it...is there any physical damage to the casing?

.How Do i connect it directly to the computer?

Its a portable drive with just a USB connector. I have removed the casing but still I have to use the USB cable to connect

I also found this inside the casing when I opened it up. Is this something that looks like a lock??

hxxp://oi48.tinypic.com/2hdwvbc.jpg

.How Do i connect it directly to the computer?

Its a portable drive with just a USB connector. I have removed the casing but still I have to use the USB cable to connect

You'll need to remove the actual drive from the casing. It'll probably have SATA connectors, so you'll need to hook it up to internal SATA cables inside your computer or through a SATA to USB adapter.

I also found this inside the casing when I opened it up. Is this something that looks like a lock??

hxxp://oi48.tinypic.com/2hdwvbc.jpg

That's not a lock. It's just a clear plastic piece for the LED to route the light from the LED mounted on the board out to so you can see it.

You'll need to remove the actual drive from the casing. It'll probably have SATA connectors, so you'll need to hook it up to internal SATA cables inside your computer or through a SATA to USB adapter.

But If i remove the actual drive, wont the platters be exposed to the dirt particles and then corrupt?

Back
Top Bottom