Help with SSD

KKhatri

Beta member
Hello and I apologize if I'm not posting this in the right section. I ordered an HP Dv7t quad edition laptop and its on its way. Since I didn't have an option to get the ssd with my order I purchased one online. Instead of the 1.5 tb dual that its coming with... I would like my SSD to be the primary drive mainly for OS and programs...Since hp will have the recovery partition on the 1.5tb is it possible for me to copy that recovery partition to the ssd instead and set the1.5 dual as the secondary? If so can someone please enlighten me on how to copy the recovery partition and will I have to switch the 2 drives order around as far as connection goes. I'm not all that great with computers. Any help within be appreciated and thanks for your time.

What do you mean by 1.5TB dual? If you have 2 drives in RAID you will have to take one out and you will lose all information that is on both (due to the RAID config). If not, you can simply clone your HDD to the SSD with a program then format the HDD to use as a secondary.

Thanks for the reply. When I was ordering it over the phone the representative said its a 1.5tb hard drive partitioned. So 750gb and 750gb. And didn't mention anything about it being raid configured. But I have a feeling it is. I tried google searching to find out but no luck. If it is, I can always change it back to a whole 1.5tb without the partition or no? Since I ordered the recovery DVD for the laptop as well I'm not really worried about any info being permanently deleted. Just trying to get myself setup and know what needs to be done to get my ssd as the primary drive.

No if you RAID a set of drives they act as one and therefore need to be left as one. Really though, all you need is an OS disc. Take one of the 750s out, install the new SSD, then install the new OS with the key on the bottom of the laptop on to the SSD. Use the 750 as storage. You can put the other 750 in an external enclosure for whatever.

Back
Top Bottom