Building my first desktop, is there anyone that can help me?

Notedog

Baseband Member
Hey guys, hows it going? I made a thread here about 4 years ago, asking about how to make a gaming PC. A lot of people pitched in and helped me find parts, which I was very grateful for. Unfortunately, I was never wble to get around to making it. This time, I'm determined, because I have no alternative computer to fall back on. My needs have changed though. I really don't game much any more, and in the interest of keeping costs down, I dont want to build a PC that caters to that. But on the other hand, I've noticed that ram costs MUCH less than what I remember, and if I'm not mistaken, it's ram that determines the actual speed of the computer? I see that 8 gigs of ram (more than any computer anyone in my family has ever owned) can be purchased for less than $40. If thats the case, should I just go all out with ram any way? But how do I know what the best quality ram is? My understanding is that 8 gigs from this company might be much slower than 8 gigs from this company.

My biggest desire is to learn. I want to learn more about computers, and building one myself is the best way to do this in my opinion, but I also want to learn other things through computer software. I eventually want to get photoshop, web design software, video and audio editing software etc. I already have rosetta stone as a gift. My question for you guys is this; having heard what software I want/have, does this send off any red flags that I might need a more powerful computer than I think?

My goal is to purchase a desktop that costs less than $500 before monitors, keyboards and other additional products are factored in. I want it to have an hdmi port and a blu ray drive, as I plan to make it my main entertainment center, and Id like to ise my tv as the monitor. I want it to have sd memory card slots, and I want it to have a strong wifi connection.

So what do you guys think? Is what I'm asking for possible? Also, is newegg the best website for computer parts? Thank you all so much, and if anyone can recomend a set up, you would help me get to a great start.

My goal is to get a computer that costs $500 (before

RAM isn't what makes a computers speed.
Since you want to learn, take a look at my thread. It'll shed some light on a few details.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/your-cpu-modern-games-guide-those-building-261626/

What you want most is CPU speed, an SSD, and at least 8GB of RAM. For a gaming computer 8GB is the standard as no game will utilize more than 3GB of RAM. 64bit applications (like Photoshop, CAD, Maya, ect) on the other hand can and will use more RAM if it is available.

500 dollars will get you what you want, but might have to cut some corners. Since you wont be gaming you don't need a powerful GPU or hefty PSU.

Thanks so much for the help. This is what I came up with

Processor- AMD Phenom II
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX

the problem is, I want a mother board that has at least one USB 3.0, and an HDMI port. I can't find a mother board that goes along with this one that has that. Also, the reason I chose this one is because I want something that's cool and quiet. Am I on the right track? I feel like once I've chosen a processor and motherboard I can figure everything else out. Have you got any recommendations?

edit- hows this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1101999

Also, I need wifi in my machine. How do I know if my motherboard will accept a wifi card?

Edit 2- Ah, I see that it has 4 PCi slots.

Last edited:
it's an OK motherboard, Wifi Cards plug into the PCI slot. Or, you can get a USB dongle. Phenom's a decent processor.

Thanks so much for the help. This is what I came up with

Processor- AMD Phenom II
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX

the problem is, I want a mother board that has at least one USB 3.0, and an HDMI port. I can't find a mother board that goes along with this one that has that. Also, the reason I chose this one is because I want something that's cool and quiet. Am I on the right track? I feel like once I've chosen a processor and motherboard I can figure everything else out. Have you got any recommendations?

edit- hows this?

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

Also, I need wifi in my machine. How do I know if my motherboard will accept a wifi card?

Edit 2- Ah, I see that it has 4 PCi slots.

This A10 quad is actually faster than the Phenom 2 965, and has a built in DX11 Radeon GPU in it. So try this setup for size which is in your budget.

CPU:
Newegg.com - AMD A10-5800K Trinity 3.8GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 100W Quad-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 7660D AD580KWOHJBOX

Motherboard:
Newegg.com - ASRock FM2A75M-DGS FM2 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

RAM:
Newegg.com - Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model PV38G160C9K

PSU:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

BDROM:
Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Internal 12X Blu-ray Combo Model ihes112-04 - Blu-Ray Drives

HDD+ SSD:
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC064B/WW 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

I know the board doesn't have an HDMI port, but you can get an adapter for that. If you absolutely need an HDMI then we can drop the SSD for a better board. I wouldn't though.

Last edited:

Hey there Mguire, first of all, thank you for coming back and for all of your help, I don't know where I'd be without you at this point. After your last post, I went out and started reading "building" guides, and I've learned a lot.

With the HDMI issue. So I guess I would just have one of these sticking out of my computer?
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

That's not too big of a deal I guess. The reason I want an HDMI port is because I want to use my TV set as my monitor. Is that an awful amateurish idea? Is it going to cause everything to look zoomed in and fuzzy? The tv is a 32 inch vizio.

Will this system be energy efficient, quiet, and cool? I guess all I would need now is as tower, hopefully one that's small. How would I know if all this will fit in to one? I saw Rosewill has a 13 inch tower that would be perfect, but is it possible it would be too small?

Also, I currently have a 1.5 TB external, but I suppose I should still keep an internal one to avoid clutter.

Why so much importance on an SSD and HD0D? Yeah, the SSDs are quieter and quicker, but won't having an internal HDD negate that? Or is there something I'm not understanding? I want one, but I don't understand the reason for having both types...

Thanks so much again!

Edit- Here's the tower

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147123

Last edited:
Your first link is to the old mobo/cpu combo. This is what you will need, and it doesn't stick out too far actually. No more than USB cables really.

dvi-to-hdmi-ada-1.jpg

I personally think the TV idea is bad if you will be using it for any kind of text reading. Even having a native res of 1920x1080 text can be fuzzy on websites and games on a TV.

Yes it will be quiet and cool, almost any new CPU these days are. I had a case but I forgot to link it. If you want that Rosewill case yes the board will fit.

As to the SSD, I put the drive/SSD combo on there so you would have some storage space. Most people don't like the idea of only have 60GB worth of space to deal with because after Windows is installed that is halved pretty much. An SSD improves the overall speed of your machine to almost anything you do. Browsing (cache, browser engaging), loading times, boot times, ect. If you want to have larger programs installed you will most likely want the HDD too. It's just two cables and you can hide a 2.5" SSD behind the mobo tray.
No a HDD wont negate it. All of the things that need to be quick are on the SSD. The HDD is just there for leeway. You can choose to have one or the other or both. I recommend the major benefits to having an SSD overall.

Well if the rosewill works then that's $504 dollars, excellent!

I guess now I just need to find a decent monitor, mouse, keyboard, and wifi card. If I can round the total deal off with $800 then I'm set. Shouldn't need much else right? Thanks again Mguire!

edit- http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ohlf

That's what I've got so far. I'll look for a new case in the morning, since the rosewill doesn't have front facing usb 3.0 ports.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom