Vertical Lines in Laptop LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

franz_paniero

Beta member
I have a Dell Inspiron 8100 with a 15" lcd panel (I think it is the Sharp model). Anyways man this laptop is like lugging around a full suitcase so needless to say I have dropped it several times, not to mention I use it to mix tracks in my pool room so drunks are constantly knocking it off the table onto the floor.

After several staged beatings, the LCD screen now has about 10-15 vertical lines of various colors (RED, BLUE, YELLOW, GREEN, against a black background) spread along the screen. Most of the lines are only 1 pixel wide but run the entire length of the screen. It is noticable but not annoying to the point that I am not able to use the laptop productively. Anyways, I am thinking about fixing this one way or the other and I am wondering if I am going to need to buy a completely new LCD panel or if I can get away with some cheaper part that could possibly fix this.

Here are pictures of the screen: http://www.uwm.edu/~kfranzen/screen/screen.html
For some reason my camera does not focus so well up close with the flash off.

This is the first and only LCD I've had so I'm not very familiar with troubleshooting them. Do these lines mean my panel is shot, or maybe some other part like an inverter or whatever. Man I don't know...

Also if the panel needs to be replaced, do I need to get the EXACT same part # from dell? I have been scoping eBay and I see several with the same dimensions and specs but different part # from dell even though the auctions say they are compatible with my model.

Thanks in advance for any help.

By no means am I saying go out and do this, but I've heard of some people passing a light magnet by their LCD screens that have problems like this (usually black lines instead of single colored ones). Then they work again.

Here at my office though, we'd always send them in for repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom