I Want To Learn How To Use Linux!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OIDanTheManIO

Fully Optimized
Hey guys, I am really interested in learning how to use Linux and I need your help...does anyone know of a DVD set that I can buy that teaches me how to use Linux? And what version do you recommend the most? I heard Mandrake 10.0 is good but I wasn't sure. I already have the CDs burned for Mandrake but I can always change to a different distro. Any help would be great, thanks.

-Dan The Man

Dont know of any dvd tutorials, but there's lots of books, some even come with distros, check local library for "linux for dummies", its not a bad book really, good for the basics.The linux unleashed series for redhat isnt bad either.Its not just linux you need to learn, but UNIX, the bash shell, linux filesystem, and what multiuser really means, and those are just the tip of the iceberg.Mandrake is fine, give it a shot, before you do though check your hardware thoroughly, setting up some things can be tricky or even impossible, especially cutting edge stuff.For example some wifi stuff,SATA drives,printers, and some graphics cards just either arent working yet or not supported at all.Thats the biggest problem most newbies have with linux, they try to set it up on typical windows ware that needs software drivers for everything.They usually go way overboard with RAM and everything else too, not needed usually.Best way I can describe it is linux is a mixture of most of the good things from unix with all of the old standards still attached,dont expect weird windows hardware to always work.CPU's and motherboards and most NIC's arent a problem, after that beware of sound cards,video cards, and anything else that isnt more than a year old and fairly mainstream.

horndude said:
Dont know of any dvd tutorials, but there's lots of books, some even come with distros, check local library for "linux for dummies", its not a bad book really, good for the basics.The linux unleashed series for redhat isnt bad either.Its not just linux you need to learn, but UNIX, the bash shell, linux filesystem, and what multiuser really means, and those are just the tip of the iceberg.Mandrake is fine, give it a shot, before you do though check your hardware thoroughly, setting up some things can be tricky or even impossible, especially cutting edge stuff.For example some wifi stuff,SATA drives,printers, and some graphics cards just either arent working yet or not supported at all.Thats the biggest problem most newbies have with linux, they try to set it up on typical windows ware that needs software drivers for everything.They usually go way overboard with RAM and everything else too, not needed usually.Best way I can describe it is linux is a mixture of most of the good things from unix with all of the old standards still attached,dont expect weird windows hardware to always work.CPU's and motherboards and most NIC's arent a problem, after that beware of sound cards,video cards, and anything else that isnt more than a year old and fairly mainstream.

Is there a website where I can download hardware drivers for Linux? By the way, thanks for all the information and thank you, Frans.

-Dan The Man

You can also check the device manufacturers' website for every part you want drivers for. Nvidia has Linux drivers on their site.

usually you will need to search for drivers on a case by case basis, what hardware do you have and I can give you better clues where to look and if what you have will work as is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom