Help me...again

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRUCEG

Baseband Member
ok i just got a new hard drive since my old one was sh*t....i go to install windows xp and something comes up saying that i dont have hard drive installed on my comp....how is that possible when i just got done unplugging the old one and simply plugging the new one back in....what do i do???

Please explain the config. Need drive type, connection type, old hard drive present? XP cd in cdrom drive?
is there an error message, have you booted to the CD and started the reinstall?

its a western digtal 80 mb hard drive...no the old one isnot present....after the screen that says press enter to install windows...as soon as i press enter thats when it comes up and says that it cant find the hard drive

"Make sure you didn't connect the IDE cable backwards. Check if its jumpered correctly."

what is that??

after the screen that says press enter to install windows...as soon as i press enter thats when it comes up and says that it cant find the hard drive

BRUCEG,

You get the drive error message before entering the XP setup or after you enter into Xp setup?

i get it after i press enter to install windows Xp...like i sed as soon as i press enter that comes up

look on the back of the drive. The IDE cable will have a red line on one side. That is the 1 pin. The cable should be keyed so that it will only fit in the drive one, way, but if it's an older cable, that might not be true. Anyway, find the 1 pin on the hard drive (should be etched in the plastic above the port) and verify that it's connected properly. The jumpers are these little black/blue/white things that bridge two tiny wire pins together, they tell the drive where it's at on the ide cable.
if the drive is on the last connection on the IDE cable or by it's self, it's called the MASTER. if it's in the middle connector, and something else is on the end, it's the slave.

does that help?
Also, check the Bios to see if the drive is recognised. pressing "f1" or "f2" or "Del" as soon as the machine starts, will ussually get you in there.

Actually, only if "cable select" is configured using the jumpers, the location of the harddrive on the cable determines if its MASTER or SLAVE. It doesn't matter where you put it if its jumpered master or slave. Always connect it to the end of the cable if its the only device on that cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom