Best Computer case

Thanks, I don't really hear that much, all I have ever seen/heard is that overclocking is the what I should do. Well if I don't have to OC the cpu, then that will save wear and tear. Also I see you have the msi 560ti, how do you like it ? and do you think its better the the regular 560ti? I asked pp maguire about getting the msi 660ti but he/she suggests that I just get the the regular evga 660ti, just wanted to know what you think since you have one.
I recommend eVGA strictly for 2 reasons.
1) I know the head of RMA and their customer service is top notch. They wont **** you over.
2) if for any reason anybody might want to add a water block to the GPU a reference board is what you want.

That aside, the MSI cards are nice, especially the Lightning and Twin Frozr cards. High OCs and they run super cool due to their coolers. It all comes down to what you want in the end. I have never had to deal with MSI RMA even being a reviewer so I can't speak first hand about how good they are. I know their product handler from PR is an ass.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/your-cpu-modern-games-guide-those-building-261626/

Check it out, it'll explain why overclocking right now simply isn't needed. Sure, it'll get you a few frames but even 3DMark11 scores hardly benefit from CPU overclocks unless you plan on running LN2. The only reason my CPU is at 4.2GHz is because I was folding and I'm too lazy to look into this stupid Intel bios so it stays. Your 3570k has faster cycles per clock per core than any other CPU in the market besides the 3770k which is identical. The turbo clock bumps the CPU to 3.8GHz when needed which is quite high. Like Trotter said, later on down the road we will need to OC but only when consoles catch up hardware wise.

Yes SSD+HDD. I don't expect everybody to boss it like me and stick with a single 120GB SSD. I don't install a bunch of junk so it works for me. You could use the SSD for OS, browser, and small games + small programs. Games that are huge like BF3 you can have on a 60GB SSD but Windows takes almost half the SSD then BF3 takes the other half so you are kinda screwed. If you feel you wont need the extra storage space then a 120GB would be fine but most people like to have that extra comfort.
Checked out your cpu post, very eye opening, even though I dont recognize some of the cpu's you tested I got the gist of it. I am glad that I dont need some 300 or 400 dollar cpu to play today's games I can get my 220 3570k and be fine for a couple years. As far as ssd I will probably just get a 60 gb with the money I will save from the Evo and the Sound Card and still get the 1tb, but in black instead of blue. What brand of ssd would you recommend? Another quick question, what is the "turbo boost" on the 3570k ??

Real quick to give you a gist,
AMD Athlon X2 6000+. Socket AM2 dual core from 2006.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200. Second gen Intel quad and a very low end model at that (top end for that range was Q9650).
Intel Core i5 750. First gen Core i quad on mainstream (1156) platform.
Intel Core i5 2500k. Second gen Core i quad on mainstream (1155) platform. <-- 220 bucks
Intel Core i7 3960X Extreme. Second gen Core i hex on enthusiast (2011) platform. <-- 1100 bucks

I would get a Samsung 830 if you can cut the cost.

Thanks for the clarity with the cpu's. Also what does the turbo boost mean in regards to the 3570k? I Checked out that ssd and I can get the 128 gb for 90 bucks, that's pretty good I think I'll spring for that one.

Thanks, I don't really hear that much, all I have ever seen/heard is that overclocking is the what I should do. Well if I don't have to OC the cpu, then that will save wear and tear. Also I see you have the msi 560ti, how do you like it ? and do you think its better the the regular 560ti? I asked pp maguire about getting the msi 660ti but he/she suggests that I just get the the regular evga 660ti, just wanted to know what you think since you have one.

My MSI 560Ti is serving me quite well, actually. I looked at all the different models but went with this one as I have owned MSI cards in the past, and the warranty was enough for me. I normally upgrade within two years anyway.

It was the cooling that won me over, though. I am a bit fanatical about my rig not running too hot.

Thanks for the clarity with the cpu's. Also what does the turbo boost mean in regards to the 3570k? I Checked out that ssd and I can get the 128 gb for 90 bucks, that's pretty good I think I'll spring for that one.

Sorry I missed that part. Turbo kicks in when your CPU starts getting loaded. It automatically kicks the speed up to 3.8GHz then drops back down when your CPU is idle. Almost all Intel CPUs have it.

My MSI 560Ti is serving me quite well, actually. I looked at all the different models but went with this one as I have owned MSI cards in the past, and the warranty was enough for me. I normally upgrade within two years anyway.

It was the cooling that won me over, though. I am a bit fanatical about my rig not running too hot.
I'm glad to hear that, because I am on the fence with my graphics card, on one hand I would like to buy just the "regular" evga 660ti on the other I want the msi twin frozr 660ti. I like the evga because it seems to be a sold card and cheaper the the msi, but the msi seems (and you have comfirmed) that it runs cooler, and to be honest, looks better. Mguire is guiding me since he clearly has more experience with this then I do, but I noticed that you had one and figured that I'd ask. Thanks for helping....again...lol

Sorry I missed that part. Turbo kicks in when your CPU starts getting loaded. It automatically kicks the speed up to 3.8GHz then drops back down when your CPU is idle. Almost all Intel CPUs have it.
I wasn't sure what that meant and wanted to make sure it wasn't something that I had to do to the card to "unlock" the 3.8ghz. I also noticed that you replied about the graphics card at the top of the 2nd page (didn't notice that until now). I would like to get the msi twin frozr edition 660ti but I am still on a budget and will probably just get the evga since that will save me a couple bucks that will probably be my last purchase so I will see. Also I noticed that the 660ti is "superclocked", is that the same a overclocked ?

Yes it's the same as overclocked.

One thing to mention here is the 600 series runs much cooler than the 500 series. Extra beefier heatsinks aren't really necessary unless you plan to overclock even further later on.

I would just like to add, an SSD is really worth it, atleast get a 32GB SSD for windows, trust me its alot faster. I am pretty sure 32 GB is enough for windowws 7.
wow a 32gb ssd is 50 bucks, and a 120gb is 110 bucks
you should really get an ssd, its speeds are over 2 times the speed of a hardrive. then you could get a 500gb hardrive! trust me the ssd is worth it, anyone will tell you that

Back
Top Bottom