Best Computer case

Dalinkwent726

Baseband Member
First let me start out by saying that I am new to Tech Forums and just want to say hi to everyone. Also I am very new to the PC world and I am in the process of building my first computer.

So on to my question, I am looking for a mid-tower case that is under or around 100 dollars. I have a case now but when I bought it I was worried about price, not functionality or looks. So I have decided to send it back and look for a new one. I would prefer a case that is very functional (since that will make it easier on me to build this computer) also looks would be a plus as well. I would really appreciate any help/input anybody could provide.

So on to what parts I have/ will be getting for this build (if anybody sees any discrepancies here could you tell me please?)

1) Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series Mobo
2) Either a i5-3570k or the i7-3770k
3) Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B Desktop Memory Kit
8gb
4) Geforce 660ti (no really sure on the brand yet, or if I'm going to get the msi power edition)
5) Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy SE 70SB057000001 Sound Card
6)
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
7)
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular Gaming psu (have it)
8)
Lite-On iHBS11204 12x Internal Blu-Ray Burner
9)
WD Blue WD10EALX 1TB Desktop Hard Drive10) And of course the case =)

Welcome.

1) Gigabyte customer service and RMA department lacks big time. I would get an ASRock Z77 instead.
2) 3570k
3) Good
4) Good, eVGA
5) Crap card, and onboard sound is plenty unless you have a grand + worth of audio gear to utilize a sound card.
6) If you aren't overclocking stock is fine
7) I wouldn't have got an OCZ PSU, witnessed too many going poof lately. I prefer Corsair TX/HX
8) Will you be watching or burning BD on your machine? If not, DVDRW would suffice. Personally, I don't even use an optical drive.
9) If you need the storage grab a Black drive or Seagate 7200. Should really swing the budget for an SSD though.

As for a case, those are very personal preference like a mouse. The best case I can really think of for that money would be the Corsair 300r. Then again, performance and cable management means more to me than pure outside looks.

Thanks for the help and all the recommendations you made, I need all the help that I can get.

1) Looked into the ASRock Z77 Extreme 4, and it seems good, what do you think?
2) Thanks
3) Thanks
4) Thanks
5) I have a pair of Astro A40's and would like to utilize them. If the mobo will do this then I will nix the sound card.
6) Plan on OC in the future, so I'm thinking ahead.
7) Yeah I already bought this psu, but if I have problems then I will return it, thanks for the heads up.
8) Yeah I plan on watching blu-rays, and maybe burning a few.
9) Why the black over the blue? Is there a difference in performance/quality?
10) Thanks for the suggestion, I looked at the 400R at that is spot on my price range.

Last edited:
WD Black's have a five year warranty. They are designed for higher performance than the Blue series.

You can get SSDs for about a buck per GB. I use a 60GB as my OS drive and it works rather well set up that way.

Thanks for the help. I will look into the mobo and the case that you have recommended. As for the sound card, I have a pair of Astro A40's and would like to utilize them since this will be mainly a gaming computer, but if you think that the mobo will give me the best sound quality then I will nix the sound card. The hard drive, I really dont have the money to spend on a ssd right now, but that will be one of my future buys. Why the WD black instead of the blue? Is there a difference? Oh and I plan on overclocking in the future, so I would like to have the fan there for when I do.
I'm assuming you have the wired A40, and if so it comes with its own amp. The only reason to get a sound card over onboard is DAC and amp. Since that is taken care of, no point in getting any sound card. Not only that, but the card you chose is bottom of the barrel rubbish honestly. It carries the same chip as the older Live cards with "24bit" branded on it. If you were that serious about sound then you would need something a bit more expensive, in which you could save that money and toss it towards an SSD which you will notice over the sound card ;)

Trotter explained why the Black over the Blue.
As for overclocking, getting the Evo will only let you overclock slightly which you pretty much wont notice a difference. Overclocking an IB or SB CPU gains at max 5FPS. You get more gains overclocking your GPU. My CPU article explains how CPUs don't really play much of a role in gaming anymore as there isn't much difference in performance comparing my 1000 dollar 3960X to my 6 year old 6000+. IMO, unless you get something good like an H80/100, or DH14 then you are wasting your money.

Just my 2c really.

WD Black's have a five year warranty. They are designed for higher performance than the Blue series.

You can get SSDs for about a buck per GB. I use a 60GB as my OS drive and it works rather well set up that way.
Not sure if it's the November deal, but you can get a lot of 128GB SSDs under 100 bucks right now.
That being said, ditching the EVO, SB, and taking the storage down a notch he could afford a nice SSD.

I'm assuming you have the wired A40, and if so it comes with its own amp. The only reason to get a sound card over onboard is DAC and amp. Since that is taken care of, no point in getting any sound card. Not only that, but the card you chose is bottom of the barrel rubbish honestly. It carries the same chip as the older Live cards with "24bit" branded on it. If you were that serious about sound then you would need something a bit more expensive, in which you could save that money and toss it towards an SSD which you will notice over the sound card ;)

Trotter explained why the Black over the Blue.
As for overclocking, getting the Evo will only let you overclock slightly which you pretty much wont notice a difference. Overclocking an IB or SB CPU gains at max 5FPS. You get more gains overclocking your GPU. My CPU article explains how CPUs don't really play much of a role in gaming anymore as there isn't much difference in performance comparing my 1000 dollar 3960X to my 6 year old 6000+. IMO, unless you get something good like an H80/100, or DH14 then you are wasting your money.

Just my 2c really.

Not sure if it's the November deal, but you can get a lot of 128GB SSDs under 100 bucks right now.
That being said, ditching the EVO, SB, and taking the storage down a notch he could afford a nice SSD.
Yes I have the wired A40's, thanks for telling me that I don't need this sound card, because I would have wasted my money. So you would suggest not overclocking the cpu? Well this is a gaming computer and if that wont help that much then I guess I wont. As for the hard drive, are you suggesting that I get an ssd AND a hdd? and if not will say a 120gb ssd be enough?? or could I get a 60gb for my OS like trotter ??

BTW thanks for dealing with all my noobie questions, I really appreciate the help, I really need it.

There's really not much of a need to overclock Intel's current CPUs, at least not for a while yet. They carry plenty of power right out of the box. Maybe some time on down the road you might need to try to squeeze more out of them but there is not really anything out that would push either of those chips.

There's really not much of a need to overclock Intel's current CPUs, at least not for a while yet. They carry plenty of power right out of the box. Maybe some time on down the road you might need to try to squeeze more out of them but there is not really anything out that would push either of those chips.
Thanks, I don't really hear that much, all I have ever seen/heard is that overclocking is the what I should do. Well if I don't have to OC the cpu, then that will save wear and tear. Also I see you have the msi 560ti, how do you like it ? and do you think its better the the regular 560ti? I asked pp maguire about getting the msi 660ti but he/she suggests that I just get the the regular evga 660ti, just wanted to know what you think since you have one.

Last edited:
Yes I have the wired A40's, thanks for telling me that I don't need this sound card, because I would have wasted my money. So you would suggest not overclocking the cpu? Well this is a gaming computer and if that wont help that much then I guess I wont. As for the hard drive, are you suggesting that I get an ssd AND a hdd? and if not will say a 120gb ssd be enough?? or could I get a 60gb for my OS like trotter ??

BTW thanks for dealing with all my noobie questions, I really appreciate the help, I really need it.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/your-cpu-modern-games-guide-those-building-261626/

Check it out, it'll explain why overclocking right now simply isn't needed. Sure, it'll get you a few frames but even 3DMark11 scores hardly benefit from CPU overclocks unless you plan on running LN2. The only reason my CPU is at 4.2GHz is because I was folding and I'm too lazy to look into this stupid Intel bios so it stays. Your 3570k has faster cycles per clock per core than any other CPU in the market besides the 3770k which is identical. The turbo clock bumps the CPU to 3.8GHz when needed which is quite high. Like Trotter said, later on down the road we will need to OC but only when consoles catch up hardware wise.

Yes SSD+HDD. I don't expect everybody to boss it like me and stick with a single 120GB SSD. I don't install a bunch of junk so it works for me. You could use the SSD for OS, browser, and small games + small programs. Games that are huge like BF3 you can have on a 60GB SSD but Windows takes almost half the SSD then BF3 takes the other half so you are kinda screwed. If you feel you wont need the extra storage space then a 120GB would be fine but most people like to have that extra comfort.

Back
Top Bottom