vga cable electric shock

Cafael

Beta member
Hi there,

I have come into possession of a large CRT monitor, and I would like to try plugging it into my laptop, as it's a big screen and I rather like CRT displays.

However, I notice that when the monitor is plugged in, I get a noticeable electric tingle (constant, not static) from touching the metal casing of the monitor's VGA cable.

Is this normal, or will it fry my laptop? I've recently moved to China for work, and the monitor came with my apartment; I'm cautious about the tech here, and in any case, it's an old monitor.

It's currently attached to a tower pc, but when I switch the pc on with the monitor plugged in, the pc beeps intermittently, and the monitor switches itself off. If the monitor is not plugged into the pc, it comes on and says 'no signal', while the pc boots without beeping.

Thanking you in advance,

Cafael

My old CRTs did this and my dad said something about ground. This was years ago so I can't remember exactly what he said. I'm going to guess China doesn't have the most sophisticated electrical in their buildings. I'm going to guess this "phantom power" coming from the monitor is causing the PC to think there is a short somewhere and not posting.
Just to be on the safe side, I would not use this CRT on your laptop.

Just my theory on it so somebody can correct me.

Try wiping a dryer cloth on it which will make not as much sadistic.

I hope you mean static LOL.

But that wouldn't help any if there's constant power running from the CRT through the VGA cable.

Static != bad grounding.

If this was aimed towards me, I never once said anything about static.

I quoted mcaustin, so no, it wasn't geared toward you... He's the one that was talking about static (his example of rubbing the drier cloth against it).

Thanks a lot guys. So basically, not a good idea to connect a charged vga cable to laptop?

I thought as much... especially with the tower pc beeping.

Seriously, if it's a CRT or LCD or LED monitor or ANY electronic device. If you are feeling static when plugging it in, you might want to think twice before using it.

Try wiping a dryer cloth on it which will make not as much sadistic.

The 50 Shades Of Tech-Forums?

Back
Top Bottom