Help me ....computer dying..

Status
Not open for further replies.
intercodes said:

Atleast you can create a boot.ini file with this 98 bootdisk and place it in C drive

Note: you cannot access NTFS partitions with a 98 boot disk.
You can access a FAT32 partition though. So you will be able to use it to copy stuff to your old win98 partition.

Start your computer and hit the key to enter the bios (usually del, F2, F10) search thru the bios for the boot order section make boot to cd first on the list.

Put your win xp cd in your cd-drive and let the setup start. When you get to the setup section choose repair. If the repair is successful reboot and go back into the bios and put the boot order back the way it was. Then restart again and it should be ok

Ok, I can get into win 98 dos but cant start computer with xp cd (its an upgrade?) I went into bios and changed cd rom to primary boot.

I cant reinstall 98 on c: drive cos its ntfs. How can I install 98 on d: drive instead?
I tried extracting files from xp cd rom but I kept getting ( e: )=(null) error.

Or better yet is there any way of downloading an xp boot disk online with the exact same files on 1 floppy as if it were created within windows xp?
Thanks guys:confused:

johnegg12,

Xp bootdisk is available. But it doesnt come in 1 floppy. Its around 6 floppy's. Get it from www.bootdisk.com . But Have you tried creating a boot.ini file as I told you before?? It could work !.

Man, you really futzed yourself. :freak:

intercodes' idea will probably work, john. Download the boot disks and have a whack at it. Can't hurt.

Sorry for being a pain in the ass! I got the boot.ini and NTLDR on a floppy from the web. It wont boot still even when i select floppy in bios.

Im now trying to extract the 2 files into my c: or d: drives in dos.
Failing at that too! Any hints there?

You're not being a pain, dude. You've just got a screwed up problem.

Copying a boot.ini file into your system will only work if it's absolutely correct. Without knowing what your system really wants, it's gonna be pretty hard.

Anyway, try downloading the boot-disks for XP (should be 5-6 floppies total) and try those. Make sure your floppy is first boot. Once you get into XP, you should be okay to sort things out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom