The dreaded hypertransport sync flood error

Aeon Flux

Solid State Member
Hi all. I recently bought a gaming computer. It has an MSI 870-G45 motherboard. An AMD Phenom II 1075T X6 processor. Two ATI Radeon HD 3870 video cards crossfired. 14 Gigs of ram. I'm actually not a gamer, just wanted a fast computer. This computer doesn't get run hard at all. Periodically it restarts and says "Hypertransport sync flood error on last boot up". There doesn't seem to be any real pattern to it, although tonight I'm trying to convert a movie with "Covert X to DVD". It's done it three times in a row. Normally it's about a once a week event. I researched the problem on the web and it seems to be related to this particular motherboard. Advice is all over the map on what might be causing it. Anybody have a tried and true solution ? I'm not overclocked and have the bios set to defaults. I have hypertransport turned off in the bios per a suggested fix, but it didn't seem to help. Any help greatly appreciated. You might have to dumb it down some as I'm old and really just getting into the more complex aspects of computers ! Thanks in advance. Fred

This is honestly caused by a lack of power to the CPU. Long story short, had motherboard from MSI, had crap caps for mosfets, was running a 140W CPU, always had shut-downs/restarts and that error. The board just couldn't handle 140W.

You honestly have the same issue, the Phenom II X6 processors pull a ton of power, and the motherboard isn't designed to actually power all 6 cores at full load I bet. Probably only 4 phases, and low-quality components most likely.

I love MSI, but, they need to learn that processors need far more power than what they are thinking.

Just curious though, what brand/model power supply do you have? If you have a crap-tastic one, it can be causing the same issue as it can't power the cpu then.

About the only thing you can do is disable two cores, check your capacitors for bulging on the top/sides, or any residue on the board around the capacitors. Note, that the top of your capacitors must be FLAT.

The power supply is a Rosewill Xtreme RX750-S-B . When I look at the running voltages in the bios they look pretty good except the 12v is showing between 11.42 and 11.52 . Not sure if that does anything beside run the fans. I did a test that ran all six cores at 100% . Let go for an hour without any problems. Core temp. got up to almost 80 deg F. Oddly it seems to fault when there is not much going on. Strange. Looked at the caps they all look nice and flat with no apparent bulging. Other than this one problem this computer works excellent as a desk computer.

IMO, PSU isn't keeping up, or the board is flaky. 80C or 80F????? 80F on a 6 core phenom 2? That seems a bit... cold... What are you using to check voltages/temps? Use HWMonitor from cpuid.com

I'm using a little program called "Core Temp". I may have remembered the temp incorrectly (I have an advanced case of "CRS"). The voltages I'm reading in the bios. When I get home I'll give that program you suggested a try. From what you have said, and from what I have read elsewhere, It sounds like this isn't the best mother board. A fellow on another site also had bad capacitors on his. What board would you suggest for that processor ? I know the physical installation of a mobo isn't difficult. Is it really involved to get one up and running ?

Oddly, last night was the first time I ever had it do it more than once in a day. Normally it is about a once a week thing. I was running "Convert X to DVD" when it would crash. I had converted another movie earlier in the evening without incident. I takes about 15 minutes to convert one, but I couldn't get the second one to finish. While it was converting, my processor usage would go as hi as 25% on a single core (it would move around) while the rest of them were less than 5%. As soon as I stopped running that program, it stopped crashing. I've never had it crash while running this program in the past. Very strange.

Coretemp is fine. His first assessment is correct and the board is crapping out randomly causing BSOD.

What is your RAM configuration? That could also be it. Low IMC voltage with 4 sticks or higher density sticks can cause random BSOD as well.

It has 14 gig of installed RAM (4, 4 gig sticks). I can't remember the name of them. I'm currently at work so I can't look at them.

Just because I'm new to high performance computing, how much ram does one really need ? If I'm reading correctly it looks like you have 40 gig ? Do you think 14 gig is just to much for MY mobo ?

I have 40GB because 32 was sent to me by Patriot to review. I normally only use 8GB, and for a gaming machine 8GB is all you need.

Phenom 2 chips have a weird IMC and sometimes 4 sticks can cause problems. If taking the 2 sticks helps then you might need more voltage.

Back
Top Bottom