Federal Physical Security Guy for Career Change

fedguy

Beta member
Hello,
I'm in my mid 20's and have started my career in Federal security/law enforcement/counter-terrorism, and while I enjoy my career, with the current economy there are limited positions to advance to. IT Security and cyber terror are becoming the forefront of what the Government is looking to combat, and they are having a hard time finding people to do that.

If I want to start my career in IT security, what would be the best steps to take? I'm currently still working hard to pay off loans from my Criminology/Emergency Management degree, so I would prefer not to start into a full out degree. Are there some certifications that I can work towards?

I consider myself tech savy and pick up most things fairly quickly. Thanks for any information, and I'm sure some of you will enjoy a laugh at my ignorance. Ha.

check out these links

SANS Security Training and Your Career Roadmap

and

/r/netsec - Information Security News & Discussion

edit - you'll want to have a strong knowledge of networking and computer architecture. Cisco certs are good. Security + can get you started. Lookup what NIDS and HIDS are.

i think the TF user Sheepykins works in security.

Thanks for the leads. Those are some expensive courses and certifications, so that's one heck of an investment.

Are there any recommendations on what kind of part-time IT positions might be interested in hiring someone newer to the field?

Back
Top Bottom