A little help please!

Moorie

Beta member
Hello.

I have a lap top made by Clevo Co that isn't the quickest running machine. I was thinking about trying to upgrade it as I cannot really afford to just go out a buy a whole new machine but I have no experience in this.

System specs:

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Basic
Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name TAPTOP
System Manufacturer CLEVO CO.
System Model W760T/M740T/M760T
System Type X86-based PC
Processor Genuine Intel(R) CPU 585 @ 2.16GHz, 2161 Mhz, 1 Core(s), 1 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies LTD 1.00.05, 17/09/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6002.18005"
User Name Taptop\Laura
Time Zone GMT Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 1.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 984 MB
Available Physical Memory 305 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.18 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.15 GB
Page File Space 1.25 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

I was thinking of upgrading the memory as I know 1gb is not a lot but am not sure how much of an improvement this will have as the processor is far from high end too.

I don't use it for gaming just web browsing, streaming and downloading music. ( Legally of course)

All advice welcome please!

You can't upgrade anything on the laptop besides maybe the memory and HDD if it has the openings available. A big increase in performance would come from getting rid of Vista.

you could get windows 7 for a cheap price from amazon or eBay, now that windows 8 is out. also Upgrading the ram would increase the speed. Also like PP Mguire said, it will be a big increase in speed if you do upgrade to windows 7 or even 8.
Good luck Buddy

2.16ghz shouldn't be running slow o_O
What i could recommend is getting a cooling pad/lap fan pad and also as an addition to comments above, upgrade your Operating System. Vista isn't doing you any favors.

Would my machine be able to run a newer version of windows with such a low spec?

Windows Vista is the bloatiest operating system to ever hit the market. If you can run Vista you can run any other Windows version easy. If you got an SSD, another stick of RAM (or bigger stick of RAM), and upgraded to 7 (not 8) then you would see a huge increase in performance.

Back
Top Bottom