Building a gaming desktop....

Vengeance

Baseband Member
So I need to get a new PC to run the newest modern games on max FPS (Skyrim, BF3, BO2, Minecraft etc.), and i'll be heavily modding these games while running programs such as Steam, Skype etc as well as using a program (Pinnacle Game Profiler) to use an Xbox 360 controller to play these games, and don't tell me that the mouse & keyboard is easier, it's personal preference.

I don't know MUCH when it comes to building the right PC, I know that increasing the RAM and getting a good processor is basically what to do. So I've built a PC from this website but I was wondering if any of you could build me a better for for the same price, or cheaper, but not over £900.

And if you could, could you explain what other parts, like the motherboard, will do in terms of performance?

order from here: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/index.php

MSI HD 7950 Twin Frozr III OC V2 3072MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card £251.99

Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (Ivybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor (77W) - Retail £184.99

Asus P8Z77-V LE Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard £124.99

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache - OEM (WD1002FAEX) £101.99

Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650M High Performance 650W '80 Plus Bronze' Modular Power Supply (CP-9020039-UK) £86.99

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-Bit - OEM (GFC-02050) £83.99

Patriot Intel Extreme Masters 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (PVI38G160C9K) £34.99

Sub Total : £724.94

£870 with VAT

that leaves you about £30 to get a case. not really enough...

you'll probably do well to pick out an ATX sized midtower case that you like the looks of for around £40 - £50

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=2362&catid=2277&sortby=priceAsc&rows=0

i hope you have a dvd drive you can reuse...

amd isnt really competitive anymore. the power supply that had is some kind of no name brand and about half the wattage that you need. you will probably want to evenutally upgrade to a better heat sink fan for the cpu to be able to overclock.

Last edited:
I know you have no past experience, but this is not a very good build, and you can get much more for your money. An 80gb hard drive? That certainly is not enough... 2 gigs of RAM? Not enough... No dedicated graphics card? Won't run any games well. I will try to put together a better list, but I am not good at building computers, mainly because I haven't built one. I have made builds online, and almost purchased a custom build. I will make a real list, but this is just to give you an idea. Just to start off from what I do know, you probably want 8 gigs of RAM which will probably cost you 50, more or less. For a processor, an i5 3570k, unless you really need the video editing, an i7 IMO is not worth the extra cash. As for the mobo, really anything that supports your build will suffice. A graphics card, I am fond of nvidia, and the GTX series, so I would say a GTX 560-660. Heat sink is fine, something for 20-30 and has good reviews will be fine. The case is really preference, if you want to be fancy, then be fancy, if not a case anywhere from 40-80 will be fine. HHD, you will probably want 1 TB of memory, and make sure its 7200rpm! As for an SSD, you don't need one if it is out of budget, but it is always good to have one, it makes everything faster and better. You would probably want a 120gb. PSU, I don't really know the wattages for that, but someone does and will help you.

well you made a real list, mine is compact and awful. pretty much the same, except he has some things that i left out, and different video cards.

Wait... I don't think it saved my results...

Coming to £900

Computer Case Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper
CPU AMD FX 8350 (8 x 4.0 GHZ)
CPU Heatsink AMD Heatsink & Fan
Memory Corsair 32GB PC3-10666 1333 MHz (4x8GB) - Lifetime Warranty (DDR3)
Graphics Card ATI Radeon HD 7750 - 1 GB - (PCI-E)
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-78LMT/USB3 (AMD 760G) - VGA/DVI/HDMI
Sound Card Motherboard Integrated HD Sound
Networking Motherboard Integrated Ethernet Lan (Broadband Ready)
Power Supply 700W PSU
CPU Compound Standard CPU Compound Supplied With Heatsink
Hard Drive #1 3 TB Seagate (3000 GB) SATA-III HDD 7200 RPM 64MB
Operating System #1 Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64 BIT (Genuine DVD & COA Included)

Wait... I don't think it saved my results...

i thought it seemed off.

the case looks good.

there is no need for the amd chip. all of those extra cores will do nothing for your gaming.

you dont need more than 8 Gb of RAM for gaming. really. getting more will be a waste of money.

that graphics card you will find to be really lacking.

you probably dont need the extra features that win 7 professional has. save a few quid and get the home version.

you probably do not need a 3 Tb drive. a 1 Tb drive is probably double what most people need. If you have that much to store, save some money in the long term and get a separate green rated slower drive to save some electricity costs. keep the main drive as a 7200 rpm. if you had a slightly larger budget, it would be worth getting an SSD.

Ah... could you quickly build what you would use from that website so I can get a good example of a PC that will run the way I want?

order from here: Overclockers UK - Computer components, hardware & gaming PC

MSI HD 7950 Twin Frozr III OC V2 3072MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card £251.99

Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (Ivybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor (77W) - Retail £184.99

Asus P8Z77-V LE Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard £124.99

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache - OEM (WD1002FAEX) £101.99

Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650M High Performance 650W '80 Plus Bronze' Modular Power Supply (CP-9020039-UK) £86.99

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-Bit - OEM (GFC-02050) £83.99

Patriot Intel Extreme Masters 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (PVI38G160C9K) £34.99

Sub Total : £724.94

£870 with VAT

that leaves you about £30 to get a case. not really enough...

you'll probably do well to pick out an ATX sized midtower case that you like the looks of for around £40 - £50

Cases » ATX Cases - Overclockers UK

i hope you have a dvd drive you can reuse...

amd isnt really competitive anymore. the power supply that had is some kind of no name brand and about half the wattage that you need. you will probably want to evenutally upgrade to a better heat sink fan for the cpu to be able to overclock.

Ah... could you quickly build what you would use from that website so I can get a good example of a PC that will run the way I want?
Take those parts and find them in the same site.

Only game you can heavily mod out of that list is Skyrim, with the exception of some mods for Minecraft which IIRC is also server dependant. You also don't need any extra software to use a 360 controller with the games listed.

Back
Top Bottom