amd or pentium

Status
Not open for further replies.

rama

Baseband Member
:D hi everyone :p
me a newbie here.
i need to make a decision . well i want to build a low end gaming computer. i want to make it as low budget as possible but at the same time allow me to play the latest games like farcry,doom3,hl2 and those to come.
well to start off i would like to know which processor should i go for athlon or pentium. and also i would like to know the affinities that exist between the processor and graphics card. ie which cpu/gpu would be more suitable. like athlon/ati or pentium/nvidia or whatever.

thanks in advance for help

athlon or pentium.
Athlon is a brand of chip, AMD is the maker. If you want a budget system for gaming then I suggest getting something like the 35w 2400+ XP-M if you're intereseted in overclocking and a good suitable OC'ing board like the ABit NF7-S v2 it's a very popular combo, either that CPU or the 2600+ XP-M which are mobile chips, but they are Socket A and will fit in a desktop socket A mother board, They have great overclockability and it's easy to get them to 3200+ XP speeds and past or at the very least give you a 400FSB.

As far as what card goes with what processor, well it really doesn't matter, the cards made to go with either system so you can't really say nvidia goes with amd and ati goes with intel or anything like that. Personally I like nvidia and right now think they are on top of their game with the eVGA brand 6800GT 256mb, you can OC that up to and past 6800Ultra speeds.

For the most part people generally agree, AMD = Gaming, Intel = applications because AMD performs more cycles per clock than Intel due to short stocky pipelines whereas Intels are huge in comparison.

But on the other hand. if your talking about Doom3 And Half Life 2. take your pick. the harsh truth is that Doom 3 was designed for Nvidia GFX Cards and Half Life 2 Was designed for ATi GFX Cards.

Although i run a Nvidia 6800 GT 128mb on Half Life 2 and not 1 problem. but might want to be something u consider.
And if u want to be popular with the people go for ATi.. i tend to notice that most gamers use ATi.

the harsh truth is that Doom 3 was designed for Nvidia GFX Cards and Half Life 2 Was designed for ATi GFX Cards.
This is true

And if u want to be popular with the people go for ATi.. i tend to notice that most gamers use ATi.
This is not. ATI performed better than Nvidia in previous generation cards, but for this time around especially with the OC'ability of the 6800GT they've pretty much stood their grounds and if you ask around these forums you'll find a lot more nvidia users

thanks very much guys.

it was of great help. so i have finally decided to go for amd and ati (asus gamer edition --real cheap). as i have never used amd so i would do a bit more research to get to know it better before actually buying it.

thankx again

I vote for AMD and ATi. AMD has "more bang for your buck" and ATi has good performance for a decent price(9800 Pro).

Some people actually use anti-viruses like AVG and Avast because they are free.. Neglecting the fact that they fail most standard tests. But hey, there free!
That's funny, I've never heard of AVG failing any tests. I use it, and I haven't had any viruses for over a year. However, I can't speak for Avast as I have never even heard of until now.

I use Antivir, and personally I find it better than most of the paid programs. AVG is a good program too, I've used it before

I would suggest against going for an ATI card if you're going for X*00 vs 6*00 series but ATI is better in 9**0 series verses 5**0 series with the exception of the 9200 and 9250

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom