radeon 6870 cooler/fan

Thresh25

Daemon Poster
So recently my computer has become increasingly LOUD. I wasn't sure what it was until I looked inside the case and saw that the sticker on my gpu was coming off... likely because it was too hot. I then went into the ATI tools and messed with the fan speed and sure enough the loud noise is my gpu's fan. My gpu right now is sitting at 55 C according the the ATI control center, so clearly my fan is not working correctly. I took the card out and blew out all of the dust so I'm not sure what else can be done to fix the fan.

First off does anyone have any other solutions or fixes to my potential problem? If not, can anyone recommend a cheap replacement fan? Do these even exist, and if so is it relatively easy to do?

Thanks

Quite a bit of gaming as of late, but nothing that should have destroyed my GPU's fan..Very dissapointing considering I've had the card for less than a year.

The fan is bad so I need a new fan.. after looking at some different options I'm a little confused.

For example, I can generally understand how this would go on my GPU, it would cover the entire card like my existing stock heatsink/fan. Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING ACCEL-TT II Fluid Dynamic Accelero TWIN TURBO II VGA Cooler for NVIDIA and AMD Radeon

However, I don't see how this would work.

Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING ACCEL-MONO-PLUS Fluid Dynamic Accelero Mono PLUS VGA Cooler for Enthusiasts

Would have of my card be uncovered? I would assume that this would actually be less effective than my original fan/heatsink when it was working properly.

Still haven't exactly explained how your fan is "bad" though. If it still works and spins then there is nothing wrong with the fan itself. GPUs get hot, and 55c is nothing to be concerned about. A little sticker coming off isn't anything to be concerned about either. Considering the back plate on my 580 gets so hot you can't touch it during heavy gaming.

If you have had it for that long it might be a good idea to just try like I said and reapply some new paste and take off the old stuff. Chances are it dried up. It would be a waste to spend money on a new cooler without trying ALL of your options beforehand.

Ah I didn't explain myself well. The fan is insanely loud, louder than it has ever been before. Even on startup, the fan instantly makes an unnatural sounding noise. When I force it in ATI utility to different speeds, it makes a weird winding down churning sound that clearly doesn't sound good. It's hard to explain without actually hearing it, but if you could hear it for yourself you'd know that the fan was bad lol... I guess I can't really put it any other way than that

You could record the sound or video it. If you've had it less than a year odds are high it's still under warranty. I would check to see if you could RMA before voiding that warranty.

If the card is out of warranty, try removing the sticker cover and giving it 2-3 drops of any light machining oil (3-in-1 oil works) and reapplying the sticker to keep the oil from evaporating over time. If the sticker will not stick, then use a small piece of tape to cover the hole.

Back
Top Bottom