512 ram showing 480?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vector_anomaly

Solid State Member
Hello, Not sure if its just the programs running in the background but why is my 512 ram only showing 480? My computers bios can handle up to 1 gig. Even it i do have proccess running, shouldn't my ram still show the full capacity?

Hmm, that'd be like having one stick of 256mb, one stick of 128mb, one stick of 64mb, and one stick of 32mb to get 480....Use a program like CPU-Z to show your amount of memory or even SiSoftware Sandra for that matter. I'm not sure if it's the motherboard in general or perhaps the BIOS needs an update, but I remember clearly having a computer displaying less RAM than what I actually had.

So google up CPU-Z or SiSoftware Sandra and download it, CPU-Z will tell you what kind of RAM at what speeds and what the SPD on the chip is and all kinds of information, probably more than ya wanted to know :D

if the update didnt help u ...
so i think that ur 512 stick has 16 chips on it ( check if it has chips on the both sides ) & each1 is 32MB ..
so may b 1 of them dun work ... so if ur stick is under warranty i prefer u check ur seller 2 replace it
or try another 512 stick & it will b clear

yeah you could use a program like memtest86+ to check for errors, but just see if CPU-Z recognizes the correct amount and if it does, try the BIOS update to get it to see it under my computer unless it's not that big of importance

your system will deduct the RAM being used by your on-board graphic card from your actual (useable) RAM.

Finally somebody said it! *whew* The reason it is showing 480 is beacuse you have a 32MB onboard graphics card sharing your memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom