Question regarding 40-pin IDE

JuanMarch

Beta member
Hey guys, first post on here :]

I'm about to receive my part in the mail for my first computer build. It's going to have a 120GB solid state as well as a 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda. I pulled the hard drive out of my VERY old computer (Western Digital WD2500JB). The drive has a 40 pin IDE connector and a 10-pin jumper block. I want to also use this hard drive in my new build.

My question is:
1.) Should I buy a 40pin IDE to SATA adapter?
2.) Should I change the jumper block position to the 'slave' configuration?
3.) How should I go about integrating this drive into my new build?
~~~Basically, how is it that I can get this drive to function in my new build without interfering with the 2TB drive and the solid state?

Thanks all,
Juan.

First off what are the specs of the new build. This will help decide how to integrate the old into the new.

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 - Board

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7850 OC 2GB 256-bit - Graphics

AMD FX-4300 Vishera 3.8GHz (4.0GHz) - Processor

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) - Memory

Kingston 120GB SSD

Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM

Um, with an SSD and a 2TB drive why exactly do you need this dinosaur in your machine?

Just get one of these:
Newegg.com - Vantec IDE to SATA Converter - Model CB-IS100

Keep your drive set to master and it'll work fine with the other two. SATA doesn't have a master or slave system so it doesn't matter what you have it set to as it's only one channel anyways per drive.

I don't. xD
But I have it, so I figured why not?

I don't. xD
But I have it, so I figured why not?

Given that the drive is IDE, it's showing its age. Anything you store on that drive, I would made sure it is backed up on one of the other drives also. Never know when that will kick the bucket. I have lost MORE than my fair share of data on ancient IDE drives. But, that was back when 20 Gig was about the biggest drive you could buy. hahahah.

For what it is worth, I have one of these, which is considerably more expensive than the connector you are looking at. This allows you to access SATA or IDE drives for desktop or laptop, and is great for getting data off of those old drives before they get tossed...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817707192

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom