• No, I'll be sticking with Windows 7

Votes: 26 50.0%
  • No, I'll be sticking with Windows XP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I'll be sticking with Windows Vista

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • No, I'll be sticking with Mac OS!

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • No, I'll be sticking with <insert Linux distro>, tell us in the comments!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Okay no offense, but get over it already people. The Start Menu is gone and so is the code for it. Microsoft is not going to bring it back and here is a real shocker for you, it wont be back for Windows 9 either. I will wager to bet that it wont be in Windows 10 or anything after as well.

So the choice is really simple, if you plan on using PC's for years to come and want support, you will upgrade at some point. End of story. I remember a few short years ago when people swore they would never leave XP, yet here they are working from Windows 7. So say what you want, you will upgrade eventually. Sad people will wait and end up spending more, liking it and then get ****ed off at Microsoft cause they didnt take advantage of the reduce price that was offered for months!

So use your 3rd party hacks to get the start menu back, complain that the OS isnt stable cause you hacked it up with software and blame Microsoft cause you are not using it as intended. I can see that next. It will happen. But stop begging for something that isnt going to happen. The Start Menu is gone for good. End of life, it is dead and buried. They are not bringing it back and in 3 years time, you will have forgotten it existed in the first place.

Installed it to some of the office computers at work today. Downloading it for my craptop, ATM. We have an all in one touchscreen at work and Win8 is a DREAM on it. Not bad at all without the touchscreen, either.

They'll bring it back.

Edit: Wanted to put this here. Which is in a thread how Windows 8 gets overwhelming negative reviews.

After testing both AMD's Radeon HD 7970 and NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 680 on Windows 8 using 19 benchmarks, we can confirm that both Windows 7 and Windows 8 offer the same gaming performance. Some games at low, CPU-limited resolutions show Windows 8 lagging slightly behind Windows 7, which is a sign that there is some mechanism at work here that increases CPU time or otherwise limits the system from sending information to the graphics cards fast enough to achieve higher framerates. This difference is very small though and barely noticeable, especially at higher resolutions like full HD or 2560x1600. The same performance is, at higher resolutions, pretty much the same as in Windows 7. The difference we noticed would be smaller, or go away, with a weaker graphics card at lower resolution as the slower GPU will limit framerates in such a scenario.

In terms of driver quality, I have to commend NVIDIA for releasing a perfect-working, rock stable Windows 8 driver, even though it is still marked as beta. AMD's first Windows 8 WHQL certified driver doesn't do so well here. We spotted a significant performance loss in Crysis 2, limiting maximum FPS to 63 - no matter the resolution. Other games work fine though; this seems to be a limited issue.

Overall, there is no reason to upgrade to Windows 8 just for a performance gain in games. There are certainly other reasons that make the OS upgrade interesting like faster boot time, UEFI support and Storage Spaces. There are, on the other hand, some turnoffs like the Metro UI that many users describe as clunky.

Support for DirectX 11.1 is, at this time, useless because there are no games that support it, nor have games with support been announced.

Unless you have WP8 and want to connect your 360 up for some reason, there is no reason. Even ALL of the review managers I have talked to are not adopting 8 due to new drivers and no performance difference. The only reason people got 7 is because XP is old and Vista blew chunks of brown.

Last edited:
They'll bring it back.

Would you like some more Kool Aid? I hear it is tasty.

They removed all the code for it. Why would they go back and put it in? They made their decision, they are not going to go back on it. If they were going to do that, they would have after the Developer Preview which still had it. Instead they went and took it out completely.

So believe what you want. They are not bringing it back for Win8. I have never seen a feature removed and then brought back in all of my years using Windows. Why let all the years of history be a good starting point cause we want to think they will do what less than 1% of the user population wants....

Just wait until the general consumers get ahold of this with their new Dell computers and the dicks over at Geek Squad forcing the new OS on people. There will be a back lash. Their reasoning for removing it is because they "thought" people simply don't use the start menu anymore and instead replaced it with a very annoying gui which is a hassle to get out of to the desktop of which Windows made its name for.

As I said before, this OS is a tab OS, not a desktop OS. There are no gains and it has been proven several times. I'm an official reviewer with access to a legit copy of Windows 8. Shall I prove how there are no differences on a basically top of the line PC? It's just a different UI. Nothing more with a few added Apple copy features.

You wouldn't believe how many of the "enthusiast" company aren't switching over.
Not like M$ makes money from them anyways.

Edit: Going through Windows 8 threads on several forums brings me to the conclusion that Windows 8 goers feel the need to defend their precious ecosystem like Apple hipsters. Attacking, mocking, and making promises they can't keep. I used to promise my dad he wouldn't use XP anymore. He literally used it till the day he died.

Last edited:
The UI change from 7 to 8 is substantially more than the UI changes from XP to 7. I would also argue that the upgrades to the UI from XP to Vista/7 increased productivity whereas the
"upgrades" from 7 to 8 decrease productivity, unless you're using a touch-screen. Windows 8 makes sense for a touch-screen computer but the metro UI is quite silly if you're using a mouse and keyboard.

I should also argue, that you can still right click where the start menu used to be to get that basic functionality. So, losing the start menu isn't exactly a real argument. People just hate the OS.

So yes, I obviously spent time into considering the OS before properly judging it much like I did with OS-X.

Would you like some more Kool Aid? I hear it is tasty.

They removed all the code for it. Why would they go back and put it in? They made their decision, they are not going to go back on it. If they were going to do that, they would have after the Developer Preview which still had it. Instead they went and took it out completely.

So believe what you want. They are not bringing it back for Win8. I have never seen a feature removed and then brought back in all of my years using Windows. Why let all the years of history be a good starting point cause we want to think they will do what less than 1% of the user population wants....

I imagine they will at least consider it once they see the dismal adoption rates for Windows 8 among enterprise users. The enterprise market has always been key for Microsoft and they don't want people weighing a move to OS X as an alternative to Windows 8 since they both would require retraining users.

Edit: Going through Windows 8 threads on several forums brings me to the conclusion that Windows 8 goers feel the need to defend their precious ecosystem like Apple hipsters. Attacking, mocking, and making promises they can't keep. I used to promise my dad he wouldn't use XP anymore. He literally used it till the day he died.

I think it should be a major red flag for Microsoft when enthusiasts and power users have such negative opinions of 8 as a whole, usually those groups are the first to upgrade and they did a lot to drive the rapid adoption of windows 7.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I remember a few short years ago when people swore they would never leave XP, yet here they are working from Windows 7.

I just want to mention most people said that because of Vista, not because XP was perfect. I know a lot of people (and companies) that didn't upgrade until 7 was available specifically because of all the problems Vista had.

That being said, I don't care about the start menu. I care more about customizing options for docks. The way OSX uses ObjectDock is something I'd prefer to this Metro thing, and I think it's understandable for people to be frustrated that they would be forced into using it, especially with its limitations.

And what if this does turn into another Vista? Even if they won't bring back the start menu, maybe they would actually listen to customer input and make something better in Windows 9. I can easily see a lot of people waiting to upgrade until 9, just like with XP to Vista.

Let me reiterate: I have no problem doing away with the start menu. I just think it's not that great of a move to take away even the option of using it. Sure, maybe it's because they are trying to keep the coding the same/similar for all Windows devices, but it just seems like it wasn't necessary to remove that. And if it was necessary, I'm sure it wasn't absolutely needed to have the restrictions and limitations you do on Metro.

There are some very strong points about the OS, hence why I will give it a shot on a dual boot if nothing else. But I'm only going so far to test the waters and see how bad of a taste the experience leaves in my mouth. This OS was not made with power users/enthusiasts/anyone-but-your-average-joe in mind, and that kinda bugs me.

Back
Top Bottom