Strange hardware probem

Status
Not open for further replies.
ya, you'd think that, but there's parts in there that store massive amounts of power for a very long time, DONT TRY IT!
i will know if you do because tomorrows headline will be:

COMPUTER NERD WITH EXTREMELY OLD SYSTEM ELECTROCUTES SELF BY STICKING FINGER INTO POWER SUPPLY!

lol, i repeat, dont touch anything in it! ESPECIALLY the little U's with wire wrapped around them.

Hey, Gage.

As you see I'm fine. The computer is back to normal. I haven't touched anything in the PSU, because I don't really know what's what. The only part that I touched is the cover (I opened it). If this can kill then by now 100's of people should be dead by now.

Derfist, I took out everything possible in the comp and cleaned. (proc, memory, harddrive, CDdrive, videocard and a pci modem). That's all that I have.

I tested pretty much, and it's doing the same thing. No change at all. :-(
Unfortunately I can't get hold of a videocard (or anything else) to try out with other stuff. And I'm not pretty eager to buy anything without really knowing what's the problem. So for now I stick with the 'waiting' solution.

Rudolf

PS. At least now my comp is clean.

well, if u have a friend who is willing to lend u his com parts, u could try using some of his components on yer com to check if d same problem occurs. e.g. u can use all yer parts first except for ur vid card. use his vid card n then c if it happens. if it doesn't, do d same thing with another part like his ram. u could try it with his vid card, ram, psu etc until u find d prob or u could also use yer parts on his com to c if d prob occurs on his com. i hope this has helped. keep us updated.

Yes, derfist, IF i would have a friend I would had already tried all this.
Unfortunately, I don't. I'm not in my home country, and I don't know no one around here.
And this computer it's not even mine. And all the situation it's pretty complicated around the comp.

Anyway, I bougth a new PSU, but it doesn't helps. It's doing the same thing.

Whatever...

Rudolf

I have had problems with random restarts that was cured by replacing a faulty memory module.

If your 128 meg is two 64's (doubtful) then try booting up with one then try the other to see if its the memory to blame.

I don't have random restarts, not even after 10 hours of working on the comp.
The memory it's in one piece, and it doesn't seems faulty. I don't get blue screens, or random restarts or whatsoever. I'm using WinXP Pro, with Firefox and other memory-needing programs. Sometimes even Photoshop (which is famous about his 'hunger'). Never happens nothing. I even did a test with a software.
By the way, some 'friend' of my girlfriend said that soon will come to take look. :rolleyes: He will also take some RAM modules to try it.
Well, I'm not having high hopes.

Sometimes I'm having problems with my videocard, that's why my first suspect is this. When I'm using in 16 bit color depth, sometimes absolutely randomly, the screen gets scrambled. The icons disappear, the text diassapears from the menus, tabs. The mouse cursor get's erratic and slow. And the refresh it's horrible. Not the screen refresh, the desktop refresh.
If I put back to 24 bit or 32 it recovers (it took me ages, to find the appropriate setting, using just the keyboard, without seeing only the contour of the property window and some minor hints about wher I am :freak: ). Without needing ot restart the comp. So, I'm using 32 bit now.
But this behaviour started some months ago, it took some time until I understood how to overcome this problem, because before I was using always 16 bit (without problems). And since a few months that I'm using 32 bit, I never had any problems.

I'm 99% sure that this MIGHT BE related with my other problem.

Rudolf

Well, nothing I still don't know for sure what's the problem.

But, I looked at the Event manager in the Windows. I don't now why I haven't dne it before?! Anyway, there I saw some records of an error related with the Device/CDrom1.
It's exactly at the time when I'm starting the computer. And it does everytime, whether it blocks or no.

It says: "The driver detected an error on the controller of Device/CDrom1"

This error "happens" like 10 times inone second. But here's a screenshot. I have an italian version of Win so don't get scarred.
:D
screenshot2.jpg

I left both the DVD reader and the CD-burner completely, and I tried so. But the comp blocks the same.

Can someone explain to me what this problem means?? The microsoft seems unable to help me with this.

Rudolf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom