XP Pro Retail or OEM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

YanBooth

Daemon Poster
I am getting XP Pro, but will the free support that comes with the $100 extra Retail version be useful if I have a problem during installation on a home built desktop?
Thanks
Yan

True! But even so Windows id really weird, people here might not know what the problem is, plus its challenge to try to understand some unfortunate, underpayed dude in India!
Thx
Yan

Well, like Riz said we can easily provide the support.

If you want to get the support bear one thing in mind, you have to pay for certain things anyways. Microsoft is a pain in the crapper about that .

YanBooth said:
I am getting XP Pro, but will the free support that comes with the $100 extra Retail version be useful if I have a problem during installation on a home built desktop?
Thanks
Yan

You can't say "Free Support" then explain how it comes with $100 extra on the price tag.

Personally, I don't beleive the support will be useful for installation on your home built destop, installation is a breaze, if you know how to read you can install by yourself, even being a novice.

Tech support after installation isn't necessary either, you can either find help here (which is 10000% better than Microsoft's Tech Support, IMO) or just ask a friend or local computer store.

So IMHO, the $100 Retail Package is not worth it.

I should also mention, installation consists of about 15 questions maximum (someone else correct me if I'm wrong) about a 45min installation process and if you have newer software you shouldn't have a problem with Windows XP isntalling the drivers automatically but you should also have your Drivers Installation CD.

Its pretty self advising on installing. Just follow the steps.

And about that $100 fee ->> I'm sure than means calling some computer operated device and follow about 10 prompts consisting of 9 options each which would put you in selecting the department you want for about...30 minutes?

By that time you could have :
A) Snooped around the problem yourself
B) Posted here and got help from someone FREE

Oh yeah, that is not mentioning how much you'll stay on hold after you actually finish the prompts.

Does the OEM version of XP Pro not come with technical support? Because whenever my store sells OEM XP we tell them we can't offer any significant troubleshooting, that the customer will have to call Microsoft with any problems they have and go through their Customer Service.

Just seems weird for someone on a forum to say one thing and an OEM computer parts store to do the complete opposite.

Got back on poached wireless, anyhow, the reason I was asking was that when I had reboot XP on the oll' dell, the features such as LAN ports and a bunch of other stuff got messed up, but I guess that doesn't matter, sheesh, six hours on the phone to Dell, HELLISH...
Thanx, OEM it is...
Yan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom